cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering 3rd party generated App Password

RoadRunner75
Joining in

I am trying to set up a new virginmedia VM account on Microsoft Outlook 2019 on my new computer.
I am lead to believe I need to generate a new App Password using a 3rd party app.
I have gmail account so I am trying to use that.
I log in to my VM account, scroll to the bottom of the webpage to Generate new App Password.
I entered my gmail email address, I then get a mesage that an email has been sent to my gmail account.
I then log off from VM, go to my gmail account, open the new email that has arrived and made a note of the 6-digit number.
My poblems now start, where to I add that number?
I went back into my VM account,  clicked on Generate new App Password again and six boxes appear and entered the 6-digit number.
I get a message saying the code I have enttered is incorrect.
What am I doing wrong?
Ant hekp much appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When My Virgin Media requires a 6-digit code to complete an action the following prompt appears:
2024-04-20.jpeg
Do not close or sign out. Use an Igcognito / Private browser window or new tab to sign into your Gmail account and retrieve the verification code. Either copy and paste or type the verification code into the space provide and select Verify to complete process.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @RoadRunner75,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

With this can you confirm if you have tried to follow these steps but without signing out of your MY VM in the middle?  This could be causing the system to resync so when you enter the code it deems it as incorrect.

Joe

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When My Virgin Media requires a 6-digit code to complete an action the following prompt appears:
2024-04-20.jpeg
Do not close or sign out. Use an Igcognito / Private browser window or new tab to sign into your Gmail account and retrieve the verification code. Either copy and paste or type the verification code into the space provide and select Verify to complete process.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

RoadRunner75
Joining in

Thank you much for your reply, I fully understand what you are saying, I think I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I have Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers on my desktop PC.
What I am proposing in the open VM webite in Microsoft Edge and naivgate to the bottom of the page to:
Generate new App Password.
Then open Google Crome were I can open gmail and find the 6-figure code.
Then bring Microsoft Edge which has been left open.
Two more questions please:
1.Should the above work?
2. When I return to Microsft Edge should I see the boxes your have inserted above in your email or is there another step.
Thank you so muc for your help it is much appreciated. 

Thank you Joseph_B,

Thank you much for your reply, I fully understand what you are saying, I think I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I have had another helpful email where the person is saying the same thing.
I have Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers on my desktop PC.
What I am proposing in the open VM webite in Microsoft Edge and naivgate to the bottom of the page to:Generate new App Password.
Then open Google Chrome were I can open gmail and find the 6-figure code.
Then bring Microsoft Edge which has been left open and insert the 6-figure code.
I will update you how I get on.
Thank you so much for your help it is much appreciated, as I said above I feel as though I am making progress.
I am 82 years old, not easy teaching an old dog new tricks 🙂

A big thank you to those that helped me.
I now know how to generate a 6-figure coce and install it into the boxes.
I even downloaded the code aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd to be used in Microsoft Outlook.
Unfortunately I have now have another hurdle to get over, When i try to activate a connection in Microsoft Outlook I get error mesages:
Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): A secure connection to the server cannot be established.
Send test e-mail message: Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.
Another big hurdle, once more any help much appreciated, I really thought I had solved my problems.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RoadRunner75 wrote:

⋮:
Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): A secure connection to the server cannot be established.
Send test e-mail message: Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.
Another big hurdle, once more any help much appreciated, I really thought I had solved my problems.

Similar posts with inability to establish a secure connection have been reported recently and are being look at by the forum team. If you have access to another (non-Virgin Media) network to which you can connect your device and see if the issue persist there also.

RoadRunner75
Joining in

Thank you Kudos for your reply.
I have opened up a week consultation with Virginmedia Gadget Team, they are also trying to help me on this one.
 After a one hour attemtp yesterday where they took over my desktop computer we didn't have lot of success, accept they asked me to get back to them again in a couple of days, let things settle down a bit, then give them a ring and they will get back on the case.
Thank again for your help, it is much apprciated.
I will post back again when I know more.

RoadRunner75
Joining in

Just to let everyone who has helped me on this, hhe Gadget Team at VM got my Microsoft Outlook working again, I can know send and receive emails after generating the secure password: aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd.
I hope I am not tempting providence by adding the comment.
That said, things have been stable for a few days now.
Thanks again everyone.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read the issue is resolved but it seem coincidental rather than Gadget Rescue having done anything to fix the problem — similar tentative update on other threads reporting issue just seemed to resolve itself.

Still waiting for Virgin Media to acknowledge cause and resolution.