cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entered credential or authentication information does not work

Si_W
Tuning in

I have two linked emails attached to my ntlworld.com inbox, had them for years and access them via Virgin's webmail.

For a couple of weeks now, maybe 3, I'm now unable to access these email accounts via my email inbox as checking these email accounts now gives me the following error message on each:

The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them.

I've logged into one of those linked accounts (which both end with @virginmedia.com) and changed the password, so I can log into it separately but it will still not allow me to access via my main inbox (which is an old ntlworld.com email address).

On my main inbox, I have access to all my folders and historic emails but on the newer ones, I cannot do anything via my main inbox.  I was lucky in that one of these email accounts had security information set up on it but the other does not, so I wonder if I'll be able to change that one.

Is there a solution coming to allow me to access both any time soon?  I've been very patient so far, but it is slowly running out...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each secondary account will need it's own generated app password.  If no security questions have been set or you are getting messages re an oops error then you will need to contact VM via the phone or preferably wait for the VM Forum Team staff to respond here tomorrow.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account#device

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Si_W When using VM webmail to view additional email addresses it acts as an email client.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Once generated you need to enter the app password into the email settings page for the additional email addresses in webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

@Graham_A OK, which email account do I need to be logged into to generate that password for my secondary?  And will it work for the other one that I am unable to change the password for?

Also, why are there no instructions to tell me this in the email settings that give me this error message in the first place?

@Graham_A just tried that in the secondary account and it gives me this error message:

Oops, looks like something's gone wrong on our side.
Please try again

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each secondary account will need it's own generated app password.  If no security questions have been set or you are getting messages re an oops error then you will need to contact VM via the phone or preferably wait for the VM Forum Team staff to respond here tomorrow.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account#device

@Graham_A I waited a short while and then tried again and that worked fine, and the error message disappeared on the Accounts screen showing all 3 email addresses for this particular secondary email address.

I can now access my email and folders for that in my main inbox, but I still have the warning triangle.  Is that on a refresh delay and will disappear eventually?

Thanks for that, really useful.  Just need to sort out the other one now, so hopefully the VM Forum Team will see this tomorrow...

@Graham_A "preferably wait for the VM Forum Team staff to respond here tomorrow"

Guess they're having some time off after working so hard on the email issues for the last month...

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Si_W, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

We apologise for the issues you are experiencing with the email service. 

Can you please confirm where you are seeing a warning triangle? If possible, please provide a screenshot excluding any account/personal information. 

Thanks, 

Nat