cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problem

SC224
Tuning in

Had a problem with my husband’s email (secondary on our ntlworld account). Wasn’t receiving and kept asking for password on Mac. Very frustrating as everything seems to have to go through My Virgin Media. When I tried to change it for him it asked for an alternative email address, but not ntlworld. I stupidly thought this was in order to send a password reset link and input a gmail account. Now it seems to have changed his account to that address but I seem to be locked in a circle and can’t get either a link nor to get it back to the original email address. I’ve been hanging on the phone for a while for help but with no luck.

I tried setting up another secondary account with his original email address but that seems to send a link to the original email address which is the one we can’t access!

Any ideas/help welcome. Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SC224 A recent security change by VM means that each VM or Ntlworld etc email address needs a third party email address to be set as the log in username for the account.  It doesn't change the underlying email address just the way you sign into it via the My Virgin Media account or VM webmail.

Once this has been set up verification codes are sent to the third party email address in order to confirm any password changes for the Ntlworld email address concerned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SC224 A recent security change by VM means that each VM or Ntlworld etc email address needs a third party email address to be set as the log in username for the account.  It doesn't change the underlying email address just the way you sign into it via the My Virgin Media account or VM webmail.

Once this has been set up verification codes are sent to the third party email address in order to confirm any password changes for the Ntlworld email address concerned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thank you! I have now resolved the issue. Wish I’d asked about 3 hours earlier!

Hello. I have now been without email for five days. I’ve been through all the username and password changes plus verifying the third party email but it’s still not working. How can I access my mailbox? Using via a browser but still locked out of my mail account. VM account is accessible just not email.

Hi Maddog2013,

We're sorry you're still having some problems with your email. I can see you've had an IT ticket raised regarding this previously. I've now escalated this for you.

Sorry again for the delay in resolving this.

Alex_Rm

Hi Graham_A is 

Do you know if it's a staggered rollout across the accounts?

I have an alternate email address registered but in the account sign in details I still have my VM address, which is still letting me log in with it.

Thanks,

RDF

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RDF I believe the request to change the username to a third party email address is triggered by an attempt to change the password for the account.  Until such time the existing sign in details should continue to work.

Thanks @Graham_A 🙂 I shall keep an eye out.