cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin's inflexibility with pricing for loyal customers

rogersbuk
On our wavelength

I've been with VM for around 20 years, and every contract renewal have a similar conversation about pricing for existing customers and why they continue to penalise me over new customers.

This year I wanted to drop my landline (it's not a landline anymore so pointless really), stop the TV service (which I have never actually used) and go from 500MB to 1GB service.

The cost for a new customer taking 1GB broadband only is £42 a month, for 18 months.  When I called Virgin, the cheapest they could get it for me would be £68 a month!  

Even to renew my current package would be £51 a month, which is still more than the new customer and I would need to take an 02 contract out as well at a minumum of £5 per month.

Sadly I have given my notice to Virgin, I cannot agree with a 50 per cent penalty for existing customers,  but I really do not understanrd this instransigence.  

On the other hand, my area does not get any other FFTTP until Dec 2026, so I might end up takiung out a new contract in my wife's name, I assume VM does not care about that, as long as they get the business?  

7 REPLIES 7

Alby41
Up to speed

I do not blame you mate , BT have just initiated cabling outside my property now bringing a myriad of other companies who use their cable fibre services infrastructure ,i.e.. Talk talk Zen Vodaphone Sky and new kid on the block EE/BT .. and yes it will be simples for Mr Engineer to connect me under my front lawn 6 yards away .. also City fibre making inroads in my town with I believe VM  are trying to aquire or partner .. VM will have to do much better for me after the contract expiry date which is going to sail over 100 quid for me.. hey but VM are not bothered it would seem

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virgin's inflexibility with pricing for loyal customers

You must understand that Virginmedia's definition of "loyal customer" is one that just continues to pay the annual increases without question. 

It seems there are enough of these customers for VM to continue operating in this way, but you don't have to be one of them if there's an alternative.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jonny2tanx
Tuning in

I have just had the same conversation.  I have been with Virgin since before they were Virgin and still have an ntlworld email address.  The completely misnomered 'retentions' dept. seem not to care about retaining customers as they offered £5 off my overpriced package from the 'personal discount' that the advisor could give.  Absolutely shameful

VMistheworst
Joining in

20 year customer myself, for me , I moved house, before moving agreed new contract with VM £66 PMTH, moved to the new place, VM tries to charge me £149, caught it it in time and had it corrected and paid it, then on the very next bill they try to charge me £249 + £149!....despite my agreed mthly contract being for £66 pmth! Three months later still trying to get it sorted out! Virgin are an utter basket case of the most incompetent, rude, untrustworthy reprobates imaginable. Remember, these guys have all of your personal information, bank details, DOB emails etc....I spent 5hrs on the phone and then 4hrs on the phone with these clowns the other day! UK reps see the problem and agree an error is made but the overseas Reps think all is fine and dandy!!! Personally that makes me very concerned given the fact these guys could not organise a you know what in a brewery! Just the worst!

Pinkygemstar12
Tuning in

To change from V6 to 360, they wanted £129 (to include tnt and Sky sports).

New customers would be charged approx £73 for the same, absolutely ridiculous.

jmg156
On our wavelength

My latest increase will see my 125MB broadband rise to £62.75 a month, which according to Uswitch is only £29 a month for new customers (less than half price!). The last time I called to ask if there's any possibility of a better deal, I was only offered free add ons which I don't want. I may give it one more go, but I'm also thinking after twelve years, it's possibly time to consider other providers.

@jmg156 wrote:

My latest increase will see my 125MB broadband rise to £62.75 a month, which according to Uswitch is only £29 a month for new customers (less than half price!). The last time I called to ask if there's any possibility of a better deal, I was only offered free add ons which I don't want. I may give it one more go, but I'm also thinking after twelve years, it's possibly time to consider other providers.

For context on the VM 'monopoly' I pay £50/month for Gig1 as an existing customer of several years!

Out of contract (Rolling 30 days) it was £62/month.