cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use a wired call blocker after Virgin Media switch to fibre

Anonymous
Not applicable

I  have just been switched over to fibre  phone, the engineer said that the wired call blocker that I had was not compatible with the system, I said I would look for an alternative phone with call blocker which has turned out to be complete nightmare.

I live in a three storey propery, the main telephone wiring was on the first floor, it was a twin phone, the other twin phone was on the ground floor, the main wiring has  has now been moved to the ground floor. I also have a phone on the third floor which is a 'hard of hearing phone' as I have hearing problems. the engineer did test all three phones and they worked after the switchover but minus the call blocker.

I am currently left without a call blocker as I do not know which type of  call blocker phone to purchase in order to stop the scammers.

I purchased a  corded  BT phone with a call blocker  but this also  had an answering machine as well which was useless, one also needed a degree in order to add family and friends numbers to it. I took it back to the store and received a refund.

There are lots of cordless phones about with call blockers but I have no idea if they will work or not with my current 'updated, Virgin Media system which I am not very impressed with.

Are any of the cordless phones with call blockers compatible with my current telephone system or do  I have to use a corded phone? I do not need an answering machine.

If I cannot get this sorted in the next few days I will switch to another company, trying to speak to someone at VM is waste of time and effort.

5 REPLIES 5

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Anonymous 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies that you have been having issues with call blocker since the switchover. There are numerous phones out there that are part of a single, duo, even up to a quad set that are available with a very good call blocking system built into them that you can also block yourself and have superb hard of hearing system along with being able to add additional listening support devices to. These are primarily made by BT and are available in many high streets that sell electronic goods such as Argos, Currys PC World and even able to buy through mail order. 

The BT 4600 Cordless Phone would be the one i

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.

I did not expect to have to start forking out for new phones when the switchover took place and have looked at so many alternatives both on line and in the high street, I note that the BT phones suggested cost approx £113.00, this would be of no use to me as I do not want a phone which has an  answerphone. I have just returned a BT phone which was usless, the particular model is everywhere now at reduced prices which speaks for itself. But thank you anyway for the info.,

So much for techology which appears to be going forwards instead of backwards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correction, I should have said that the technology is going BACKWARDS and not forwards.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I did not expect to have to start forking out for new phones when the switchover took place and have looked at so many alternatives both on line and in the high street, I note that the BT phones suggested cost approx £113.00, this would be of no use to me as I do not want a phone which has an  answerphone. I have just returned a BT phone which was usless, the particular model is everywhere now at reduced prices which speaks for itself. But thank you anyway for the info.,

So much for techology which appears to be going forwards instead of backwards.

Sadly, this is part of an industry wide switch away from the now old & expensive to run public telephone exchanges, for which we pay exorbitant "line rental" costs each month, & which cannot block scam callers due to the lack of end-to-end security.

When the final switchover to VoIP happens in 2025, most of the need for a call blocker will disappear as a result & the costs will also significantly reduce.

As for your problem. The old copper line & socket had a maximum REN (Ring Equivalence Number) of 4, which means basically you could plug 4 items into it without issues. The hub based lines have a maximum REN of 3. All these pieces of equipment should display a REN value on them or in the instructions. Add them up & if the total comes to 3 or less they should work on the hub based lines.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for your information, much appreciated.