cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Box Issue but No Error Message

paulmcnulty1420
Joining in

When I fast Forward a recorded programme my TV's sound goes off for around 15 seconds then the TV switches off for around 15 seconds then comes back on. This happened only occasionally initially now it happens all the time and is a nuisance particularly given the amount of money I pay for the service. I phoned Virgin Media however because it did not have an error code and was not showing on their system their Tech Team was not interested. I have had the same TV Box for over 5 years and it is definitely the TV Box that has the issue.   

9 REPLIES 9

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @paulmcnulty1420 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see the team have not been able to help with these sound issues on your TV. This certainly is an odd issue 🤔

Just to confirm, have you been able to check our service page here so you can sign in to run a fault test with your connection?

If that doesn't help we have a further help page here

Let us know how you get on with these, we're happy to help further if needed.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan, Its not just the sound its the TV going blank then coming back on. I will try the Service Pages.

Thanks Paul

Hi Nathan, I have been through both of those pages previously and it got me no where, I do not particularly want to have the same 1 hour long conversation as I did last time that got me. I either would like a Technician to pay a visit or a new TV Box. As the one I have is not fit for purpose and I am paying an awful lot of money for it.  Thank You

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paulmcnulty1420 wrote:

When I fast Forward a recorded programme my TV's sound goes off for around 15 seconds then the TV switches off for around 15 seconds then comes back on. 

If the TV switches off for around 15 seconds and then comes back on, it doesn't sound like it's actually turning off as it would take around 5 minutes or longer to reboot. 

It looks like the sound and picture are blanking out so it may possibly be a problem with the HDMI cable or HDMI port. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @paulmcnulty1420,

Thank you for giving those things a try. It's a shame to hear that they haven't helped.

As @newapollo has mentioned, if the screen blanks are only a few seconds each time then it definitely sounds more like a connection problem rather than something wrong with the box and its power. As they've suggested, can you try using a different HDMI cable to see if that offers any improvement?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

paulmcnulty1420
Joining in

Tried a different port and a new cable and it is still happening more so when the TV and Box have been on for a while. Thanks

Hi @paulmcnulty1420 thanks for your reply - understood.

Before we look to replace the box, if you have more than one V6 in your household are you able to please try swapping the other box to the location of the one that is the issue, to see if the issue stops?

If so then it's definitely the box, but if not, swapping the box isn't going to resolve this and we'd need to investigate further.

Many thanks

Tom_W

paulmcnulty1420
Joining in

Hi Tom,

No there is only one box in the household. Thanks

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply.

In that case, please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you.

Kindly expect the PM to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can.

Many thanks

Tom_W