cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need the Tivo Box

LesleyB
On our wavelength

Hi - we never watch anything via the Virgin Box. If we need terrestrial, we can watch BBC etc on another Freeview tv.

All we watch are Netflix, Prime, ITVX, UK TV Play etc etc.  We invariably have a problem even turning the actual box on so thought - could we unplug it? Would everything else work? Playstation, streaming and so on.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LesleyB 

Unplugging the VM TV set top box won't affect your internet connection or any other devices.

You should still be able to watch Netflix, Prime, ITVX, UK TV Play etc providing  you have a smart TV that has those apps (or a firestick)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LesleyB 

Unplugging the VM TV set top box won't affect your internet connection or any other devices.

You should still be able to watch Netflix, Prime, ITVX, UK TV Play etc providing  you have a smart TV that has those apps (or a firestick)

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

LesleyB
On our wavelength

Thank you. It is like spaghetti junction at the back of the unit/s so will have to think carefully, but will unplug.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @LesleyB 

Have a look at the back of VM set top box. It probably has a push in power connector lead. Just pull that out and then trace the other end back to your wall socket or extension socket and remove

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi @LesleyB 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us, apologies on the delay in responding. How are you getting on with spaghetti junction 🤣? Unplugging the TV box will not affect any other services such as the internet or the PlayStation, and if you are using streaming services via the PlayStation or the TV it will not disturb that process either. Although I am concerned why the Virgin TV box will not turn on and if you wish to carry on not using it then I would recommend discussing if any money can be saved in removing it. 

I shall drop you a private message to look into this further for you. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

LesleyB
On our wavelength

Hi Sabrina - am a little uncomfortable with any more private messaging as I am not sure if it is a scam. You are right, we don't use the box so would rather not have to pay for it. But will leave that option open at the moment. Thank you.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LesleyB 

You shouldn't be concerned about being scammed by a member of the Forum Team.

You can easily identify a VM Staff member as per  the folloing linked page (screenshot below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/Staff 

Identify staffIdentify staff

Dave
The do's and don'ts.