cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 5 and TP Link Port not connecting

Jagruti1
Joining in

Hi my whole house is connected to Cat 5 cables - virgin hub is connected to a TP Port (24 ports), the port has ethernet cables running to the various rooms.  I used to have Virgin Hub 3 which was connected to the TP LInk port and everything was working fine - alarm, house lights, the virgin TV box apps (netflix etc).  Last week the wifi was not working (mobiles and ipad), but the hardwired items continued working. Virgin said I need to upgrade my hub. Today I received Virgin Hub 5, so I transfered the connections across from hub 3 to hub 5.  Since switiching everything across my WIFI is working but everything hard wired is not working.  Its like Hub and switch doesn't talk to each other, I have tried different internet cables and still no luck.  How can I fix this?

39 REPLIES 39

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you powered off the 24 port switch? Is it a managed or unmanaged switch?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

In modem mode connect one port only to a laptop or similar and see if you get broadband. BTW you need cat 5e or better.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Client62
Legend

The OP does not mention Modem mode, so I am assuming Router mode + a 24 port network switch.

Hub 5 & 24 port switch ... the most obvious concerns are ...

1) Hub 5 as form for its network ports failing to work with a network switch ( regardless of switch brand ) 

2) The Hub 5 in Router mode regularly suffer DHCP failure with 12-15 client devices, a 24 port switch suggest you are likely in that zone. Especially when considering laptops + mobile have MAC Address Randomisation and can count as a new device after every reboot.

For a high number of connected devices; a Hub 5 in Modem mode with a 3rd party router then the 24 port switch would be a most viable system.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it also a router as well as a 24 port switch? The only TP ones I can find are very expensive.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

HI, it is an unmanaged switch.  I have powered it off and on again. It didn't help the first time, but it fixed most of the issues the second time. 

They are all cat 6 cables

Thanks for your reply.  I am using about 17 items (some wired - NAS, TV, alarm and others via wifi - mobile phone, tablet, laptop).

After a bit of playing around, I think I have managed to fix everything apart from the Virign TV apps (netflix etc) on the TIVO V6 box. It won't connect through wifi or ethenet cable

No it is not a router, just a unmanaged 24 port switch.  Ethernet cable from Hub 5 directly into one of the ports on the switch.

I found the last port on Hub 5 isn't working, which is why I was having all these issues.  I moved it to another port which has resolved all but one issue. One TIVO V6 box won't connect through wifi or ethenet cable so I can't access any apps like Netflix.  Issue is only on one TIVO 6 not on my second one.  

Client62
Legend

if you look at the network status of the TIVO V6 box does it look like it failed to get a DHCP response from the Hub 5 ?   ( Perhaps the IP, Gateway or DNS are missing )