cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM telephone switch to fibre network with VM new adapter.

OnlyWhenILaugh
Joining in

Good evening all. Will this work?

Re: VM telephone switch to fibre network with VM new adapter.

I have my modem/router-3/tv upstairs. The broadband/tv coax cable runs from my VM-outside-wall-box up and into my loft then to my modem/router/tv - all upstairs.

I have three wired phones. The main incoming VM-phone-socket is downstairs adjacent to the VM-outside-wall-box. From that inside VM-phone-socket I ran a cable to an additional inside-adapter-box-socket and from that I daisy chained two more upstairs - giving me three phone-adapter-box-sockets, one being for a desk phone near my modem/router (all sockets working for more that 20 years).

For the switch over I think all I need do is unplug the phone cable from the main incoming-VM-phone-socket. Plug an adapter-splitter into the phone adapter-box-socket near my desk. This adapter-splitter will have two female-sockets. One for my desk-phone and the other for a male-to-male-cable which I will connect to the female-socket of the new VM-adapter they are going to send - which will be plugged into modem/router. My three adapter-box-socket will remain connected to each other.

I'm hoping this will work without me getting a VM engineer to call?

Regards to all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think not many people will understand what you want to do, but I do. That should all work. From what I have read, all the VM technicians do is give the user an extension POTS cable!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think not many people will understand what you want to do, but I do. That should all work. From what I have read, all the VM technicians do is give the user an extension POTS cable!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

OnlyWhenILaugh
Joining in

Thank you Tudor. Much appreciated.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like you plan is feasible (and is along the same lines as what VM does). This is an adapter cable VM uses

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M262932...

which might economise on adapters and splitters if you can find such a thing.

If your corded phones are relatively old (early 2000s or before) you might need to ensure the master socket in your arrangement also carries pin 3 around your extensions for a bell wire connection to all sockets (you would probably have this anyway in your existing setup).

A past topic with useful info on how someone else accomplished the same task is

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Connecting-Hub-3-to-Extensions/m-p/4797693

The REN of the hub's phone connection is 3, if that has any relevance to what you are connecting in total

Thank you goslow. Much appreciated. Yes pins 2, 3, 4, 5, wired in all extensions.