cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband

pinkmoon
Joining in

Hi. New here, and can't seem to get through to speak to any VM reps, so hope they keep an eye on posts at this forum.

I have an M350 broadband package, but my download speed is 90 Mbps, below the 181 Mbps minimum guaranteed download speed as stated in my contract.

I've tested via an Ethernet connection to my Hub 3 router, which is set to modem mode as I use a Google mesh network at home.

I've restarted the Hub as suggested and it's made no difference.

How can I get someone to look in to this, or to give me a callback?

Kind Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

And doing a speed test in modem mode you need to connect directly to the Hub, rather than over the mesh router. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

carl_pearce
Community elder

What does this site show in router mode?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Have you tried a different ethernet cable/port as 90Mbps sounds like the limitation of a 10/100 (100Mbps) negotiated speed between the HUB and your router/mesh system.

Carl: Thanks for replying.

I can't perform the RealSpeed test as it says 'not available on this network'?

I'm using a Cat6 cable that allows 100/1000 Mbps connectivity.

My original package was M250 and I do have a speed test screenshot operating at 203.1 Mbps download speed with the same equipment and cabling, so I'm wondering if it's a configuration issue at the network end.

Your HUB must be in router mode, as mentioned above, to action the test to the HUB over the VM network.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

And doing a speed test in modem mode you need to connect directly to the Hub, rather than over the mesh router. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Carl and jpeg1:

Thanks for posting.

As suggested, I connected a laptop directly to the Hub and it's showing 255 Mbps, whereas my desktop PC connected through the mesh network (albeit via ethernet cable) is showing 90 Mbps.

So despite being confident that my home cabling is at least Cat5e (and Cat6/7 in places), with a couple of powered switches along the way, there must be something that's slowing the data transmission, compared to by-passing the entire mesh system which is showing less impedance.

I guess I'll have to poke around and see if I can determine the bottleneck, disappointing as that may be.

Thanks for the suggestions, as you've certainly helped in pointing things towards my internal cabling rather than assuming VM are not supplying me with the advertised bandwidth speed.

Kind Regards,