cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5x - 10gb port dropping pings

SaltKing
Tuning in

Just had VM installed and the 10gb port seems to be dropping pings like crazy, along with very high latency on speed tests 100-130ms

SaltKing_0-1715342972370.png

If I connect to one of the other ports the latency and pings seem stable, just seems odd? I only have 1gb service, so I guess no need to use the 10gb port atm.

I also dont seem to be getting the Symmertrical upload addon I paid for either, but from reading - I need to give someone a ring for that?

10 REPLIES 10

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Going by the very high latency during speed tests you are likely not connecting to the 10G port at 10G properly. The latency is potentially high because the 1G you end up with between you and the Hub gets maxed out.

Worth a check your machine reports 10G and isn't showing errors on the NIC connecting to the hub. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Client62
Legend

dns.google is a load balancer. Behind the facade of 8.8.8.8 are a distributed farm of DNS servers.

Did you read that all of these dispersed DNS servers have respond to WAN ping enabled ? No !

If you with to use a DNS as a connectivity test, use it properly i.e. via nslookup

Or via : https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

New cat 5e cable and swapped, no pings drop from the other ports either and 13ms, compared to 130ms and dropped pings.

I only have 1gb service anyway, but does seem odd how it's not playing ball. 

What speed is the device you are using negotiating to (1Gbps, 2.5Gbps, 5Gbps, 10Gbps)?

Your Gig1 subscription is limited to around 940Mbps, per device, when using a 1Gbps ethernet port, out of the possible 1130(1150)Mbps.

SaltKing
Tuning in

1gb NIC in my system - but surely the service should work fine from the 10gb port?

Google DNS is anycast and all nodes respond to pings as part of their standard configuration. DNS requests may need balancing to multiple servers behind a load balancer cluster, any balancers will deal with the ping themselves.

This fact is used by various network equipment vendors worldwide. 

That you've a 1G NIC would've been very useful information for the first post. Use a 1G port for now, might be some weirdness between your NIC and a 10G NIC causing an auto negotiation issue. Settings on your NIC may also be problematic as well as firmware. 

When you move to 10G NIC try it again. 

@SaltKing wrote:

1gb NIC in my system - but surely the service should work fine from the 10gb port?

This is VM we are talking about. I do wonder if they would have tested the HUB at 1Gbps over the 10Gbps port.

Cat 5e isn't as well shielded as CAT 6, so maybe some interference?