cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing

Botty1963
Joining in

Up until a few months ago, I was on EE, with a 330MB connection. And most of the time I was getting around 250MBPS to devices over WIFI.

I moved to Virgin a few months ago on a 1GBPS connection, with fibre to the premises. However, I actually get slower WIFI connections to my devices than I did with EE, which suggests to me that the WIFI on the 5x hub is not that great.

Does anyone else have this issue?

7 REPLIES 7

AidyM
Dialled in

As recommended to me due to the current speed issues I am facing, please post a screen shot of your speed tests using:

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The VM Hubs do not have good WiFi performance. VM offer their 'pods' to extend coverage, but unless you have a premium broadband contract they are chargeable, which becomes expensive over a period. You may find it worth investing in your own WiFi access point. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Botty1963
Joining in

Hi, I have a 3 node mesh system which has been in place for about a year or more, well before I moved from EE to Virgin.Screenshot_20240416-150635.png

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Are they are in the same locations as before then it's pretty clear they are not getting the same signal from the Hub. Is it possible to feed one by ethernet? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Botty1963
Joining in

Yes, not moved them at all. The master one is connected over ethernet.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Are these by any chance BT/EE discs that you were using with your previous EE connection? If so I'd factory reset them all and reinstall. 

Are they 802.11ac (WiFi 5) or ax (WiFi 6)?  If they are ac they will not use the full 1Gbps speed, although they should still be better than you are getting. 

- jpeg1

Hi @Botty1963,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your Wi-Fi/wireless connection recently. I've checked over things on our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults currently that would explain why you may be having these issues.

How are things for you today? Any better? Is your wired connection impacted at all too?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!