cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb vs 500mb

uidhufsno
Joining in

Do I need one 1gb (£36pm) or 500mb (22) 3 people about 20 devices connected sometimes all three of us work from home, we stream and one of us games.

Live in a 3 bed semi, currently on 350mb is actually decent don’t really feel any black spots or slow wifi, currently have the router in modem mode connected to my google mesh system that’s prob why lol.

But overall my question is shall I upgrade to 1gb or shall I upgrade to 500mb. I’m thinking the 1GB is overkill ?

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How deep are your pockets?  If you don't have an O2 SIM, you could get one, become a VMO2 VOLT Customer, and get double speed upgrade for free (as such)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

At these levels its really about bandwidth usage rather than raw speeds.  Most single activities dont use that much bandwidth and so multiple concurrent connections are never an issue.

What is worth considering is that the most "hungry" uses are streaming films/content etc.   Particularly in 4k/UHD.  Netflix for example recommends >15Mbps for that and >5Mbps for standard  HD feeds.  Other activities are all mostly far less than that.  So just add up how much you are likely ever to be using simultaneously at peak usage - then get a service that is double that for headroom 🙂

For most normal families I would suspect that 350 is far more than you will need - it is for me.

Only if you have activities that requires high speeds (downloading large files?) would the extra speed be useful.

Also note that the upload speeds also increase on the higher packages - this might be useful if for example,  you maintain an ever changing dynamic website for all the world to to see and quickly respond to your uploaded changes (stock availabiltiy/prices/etc)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.