cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, websites blocked despite childsafe and virussafe off

luckyluca
On our wavelength

Help, all of a sudden, some websites are blocked by Virgin Media, despite having both childsafe and virussafe off, under online security.

I tried turning on and off childsafe but it doesn't turn on or off, it stays off with the following error 'Sorry the changes you made were not saved, please try again'.

I'd like resume browsing with all filters off. Can this please be looked at and resolved?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

luckyluca
On our wavelength

Also websites like vimeo.com and reddit.com and protonvpn.com don't work properly.

vimeo.com and reddit.com give errors and only connect after several retries.

Protonvpn just doesn't work.

reddit.pngvimeo.png

luckyluca
On our wavelength

I posted a more concise version of this thread in a single post under Broadband

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Until it is resolved manually set Google for DNS.  Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

luckyluca
On our wavelength

Unfortunately, the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 does not allow changing DNS settings.

Is Virgin Media looking at this issue, any ETA when it is going to be resolved?

Hi @luckyluca 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us, apologies for the issues that you are having with various web access. Could you please turn off your extensions Brave and the other one showing in your Chrome browser and try the websites again.

Please let us know. 

Sabrina

luckyluca
On our wavelength

Hi Sabrina, thanks, I'll try that and report back

I'll try that and report back, thanks.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, i know you can't change the DNS on the Router, however you can set the DNS manually on most devices. This will bypass the VM filters in the same way your mobile device does.  It will be a workaround until it is sorted by VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Sabrina,

I removed the extensions. I also tried Firefox, another PC with vanilla Brave and Firefox, an Android smartphone and an IOS smartphone.

In all instances, some websites are still blocked. For instance, I can't access protonvpn.com on either of the devices; reddit.com and vimeo.com give an error, and refreshing usually allows me through, but other websites are blocked 100%.

Also, to answer Adduxi (thank you for the tip), manually setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 across all devices unblocks the websites. 

But I would still like virginmedia to resolve it. Also considering that the childsafe option on the website is not toggable.

Thanks again