cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 internal network address

gingfuzz
Joining in

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

233 REPLIES 233

@andrewilley wrote:

legacy1 wrote: 

If you don't like VM router mode use modem mode with your own router simple really paint the walls what ever colour you want. 

That's what I've done too. However given that we've already paid Virgin to paint the house, it is annoying to have to pay again to do it properly when we unexpectedly find they only have one paint colour.

Andre

You didn't look at the house before you buy but knowing you can paint the house what colour you want you didn't care.

---------------------------------------------------------------

nmparmar
On our wavelength

@legacy1 wrote:

@andrewilley wrote:

legacy1 wrote: 

If you don't like VM router mode use modem mode with your own router simple really paint the walls what ever colour you want. 

That's what I've done too. However given that we've already paid Virgin to paint the house, it is annoying to have to pay again to do it properly when we unexpectedly find they only have one paint colour.

Andre

You didn't look at the house before you buy but knowing you can paint the house what colour you want you didn't care.

What nonsense. Your analogy is poor, and inaccurate. If I view a house where the walls are painted lime green, I may choose not to buy the house however ridiculous a reason that may be not to buy a house.

However, we aren't buying the house, we're renting it, but the landlord has come over while we're out and decided to paint the walls lime green. Your response is to stop complaining and paint it back to our preferred colour at our own expense. It's a ridiculous position to take. 

Away from fun painting analogies, being able to set the base IP address for an entire home network (or any network) is an absolutely basic requirement and to not support that - and thus require users to pay again to buy a second router to do something so utterly fundamental - is ludicrous.

I'm amazed no-one has gone after Virgin legally, as this current 'Super'Hub is clearly not fit for purpose as a modern network router. We are no longer living in the 1990s where all you needed to do was plug your single Windows XP computer into the 512k broadband.

Andre

I couldn't agree more Andre. I'm surprised the community in the UK hasn't been able to put enough pressure on VM to change it. What gives?

@Sunville wrote:
I couldn't agree more Andre. I'm surprised the community in the UK hasn't been able to put enough pressure on VM to change it. What gives?

Ah - It's either VM's high downstream speed or, where you can get it, BT's shoddy 76 Meg offering.  There's no legal basis on which VM can be attacked.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Is there no hope for doing this now after firmware upgrades since the earlier post advising how this can be changed?

I've just had a Superhub 3 installed this morning as my 2ac died and discovered this flaw so tried the fix and had the codes appear at the top of the page as expected and tried powering it off a few times but get limited access when connecting and can't get an IP via DHCP at all now.

I guess I'm going to have to do a factory reset on it and use it in modem mode with an additional router...?

OK, I've just discovered something as well which may be of interest to others here possibly...

1) My laptop and phone wouldn't pick up a new IP from the router via DHCP

2) I set a static IP of 192.168.1.x and was able to access the internet fine on my laptop but pinging 192.168.1.1 times out

3) I cannot access 192.168.1.1 via my laptop but before I made the change I enabled remote management and using my phone on 4G was able to access the web config page fine using https://xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx

4) Accessing the web interface on the external IP I could see the DHCP range was starting at 192.168.0.10 so not sure what I can do there, it would seem as though the DHCP function is broken. The DHCP lease table shows devices with 192.168.1.x addresses attached.

So it looks like I might have some options accessing the web interface tethering on my mobile and using the external IP to manage it...

Can you please let me know how you changed the SH3 IP address. I have a conflict with my work VPN. I managed to change easily for SH 2 but it looks more challenging on this one.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
To change the Hub 3 router's IP address, please see the following post earlier in this thread.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Superhub-3-internal-network-address/m-p/31...

There is no other method and you'll have to work your way through it, perhaps reading some of the other posts to see what issues people had to face when using this method.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

please could you send details for changing network to 198.162.1  address.