cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre pull

Sukhz
Joining in
I'm really fustrated with Virgin Media. 

27th July 2023 - I informed virgin over a call that I will be moving into a new property on the 6th September. Was advised pre pulling would need to be actioned because my property has never had virgin before. I was happy to continue.

7th September - Virgin confirmed pre pulling has been completed

16th September - engineer arrived and confirmed pre pulling for the cabling was never completed. 
Was advised contractor will complete pre pulling on the 18 September. 

18th September - No one turned up. virgin colleague apologised and promised a visit 19th September. 

19th September- no one showed up and again was promised a visit on the 20th September (today).

I am unable to work due to working from home and have no internet.  I am also paying my builder’s a delay charge of £100 per day because work cannot be completed with broadband. 

In total I am losing £237.99 per day due to not being paid from work and also paying my contractors. 

No one over the phone seems to care. Due to no internet and no resolution I have asked if I can leave however was advised there will be a penalty to leave early of £180 plus tax. 

I am concerned with virgin media process and how terrible to service has been. No one cares about their customers. 

I have spent over 12 hours on back to back calls with virgin since Saturday 16th September 2023. 

Please help me. 

Sukh
11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Nothing VM tells you in telephone calls can in any way be relied upon to turn into action on the ground. This is because of the way VM has set up its sub-contracting arrangements with the cable installers. VM agents you talk to on the phone have no direct knowledge about your installation. They are just reading the next scheduled date from their screen. A phrase that keeps getting repeated in topics on here is that they 'guarantee' the installation will take place the next day but typically nothing of the sort happens. Sounds very similar to your description.

If it costs you £180+VAT to get out of the deal with VM and your costs are £237.99 per day (with no guarantee that VM will turn up any time soon) then the maths isn't too difficult to weigh up and compare.

How does the installation of the VM cable relate to stopping your building work?

You will be eligible for a tiny amount of compensation for the delay and missed visits

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

thank you for the reply 

I’m thinking to now cancel but other providers can only install my bb in 2 weeks. 

I’m getting building work to hide all cables so it’s neat and tidy. And my home alarm system needs broadband to work. 

I just don’t understand why virgin have failed to deliver many times now. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Usual process with any building/electrical work is to do a first fix of electrical conduit and leave behind a draw rope so cables can be pulled through at a later date. When installing, make sure the electrical conduit is a smooth continuous run with no significant obstacles or sharp turns that would prevent the cable being pulled through later on.

If you want to wait for VM, a few options people have chosen on here in the past in similar circumstances are below. These are not direct recommendations, just things mentioned on here by others. Whether they are any use to you or not will depend on availability and coverage in your particular area and how good the provider is, so do you own research on them

30 day rolling connection with Openreach providers

Now Broadband
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Waiting-for-pre-installation-work-can-I-c...

Freeola
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-Media-Delay-6-to-8-Weeks-for-now/m...

Alternatively look into a rolling monthly unlimited data SIM/hotspot from a provider with good coverage in your area to keep you going while you wait for VM

Your VM installation may happen soon or may happen months down the line but, unfortunately, you will get no information from VM that you can rely upon, particularly if other decisions are linked to the VM installation schedule.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It will not cost you anything to cancel the contract now. That's another Virginmedia lie.  You can cancel without charge any time before the connection is activated, and up to 14 days after connection.

If another service can connect it sooner, go for it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is this a move or a new installation? I had read it as a move of address/VM service but reading again it is not clear.

Sukhz
Joining in

This is a house move and I’m still in contract hence the charge they are mentioning to cancel as a early termination charge 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

OK that explains the charge then. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Sukhz
Joining in

Anyone from Virgin team able to get in touch please? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It can take several days for a VM employee to get to each topic. Response times seem a bit slower than usual at the moment.

Bumping your topic and multi-posting might actually have the reverse effect of what you are hoping.