cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation

prowler81
Joining in

Hi all

Due to have M350 installed 28th March and it will be overhead and not underground. 

I have a pole right outside my back garden that currently provides Openreach.  As VM own there lines will they have to install a new cable from the telegraph pole into my home or use the existing line that is provided by Openreach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unisoft
Well-informed

@prowler81 wrote:

Hi all

Due to have M350 installed 28th March and it will be overhead and not underground. 

I have a pole right outside my back garden that currently provides Openreach.  As VM own there lines will they have to install a new cable from the telegraph pole into my home or use the existing line that is provided by Openreach?

How do you know it's overhead? If its HFC network (most of Virgin's network) and not brand new, it will likely come from a toby box outside or near your property. A little plastic flap in the pavement usually with CATV or a legacy cable company name embossed onto it. They would then connect coaxial cable from it to outside wall box on your house and run coax inside.

If its the newer network and fibre all the way to inside the home then it could come by a pole. VM would have their own (large) CBT terminal on the pole. A large rectangular shaped box with connections near top of the pole.

See here for pictures and description of RFoG (Fibre to outside of home then coax inside) and FTTP XGS-PON (Fibre all the way) and legacy HFC (Fibre to cabinet then coax to house and inside).

Three types of broadband that Virgin Media supply.

https://fttppro.co.uk/the-three-types-of-virgin-media-broadband/

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the supply from Openreach fibre or is it just an old style telephone circuit?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @prowler81

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

It's great to hear that you're joining us. If any pre-installation work needs to be carried out, this will be done before the scheduled installation date.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

unisoft
Well-informed

@prowler81 wrote:

Hi all

How do you know it's overhead? If its HFC network (most of Virgin's network) and not brand new, it will likely come from a toby box outside or near your property. A little plastic flap in the pavement usually with CATV or a legacy cable company name embossed onto it. They would then connect coaxial cable from it to outside wall box on your house and run coax inside.

If its the newer network and fibre all the way to inside the home then it could come by a pole. VM would have their own (large) CBT terminal on the pole. A large rectangular shaped box with connections near top of the pole.

See here for pictures and description of RFoG (Fibre to outside of home then coax inside) and FTTP XGS-PON (Fibre all the way) and legacy HFC (Fibre to cabinet then coax to house and inside).

Three types of broadband that Virgin Media supply.

https://fttppro.co.uk/the-three-types-of-virgin-media-broadband/