cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Super Hub 5 192.168.0.1 always re-directs to 'First Install Wizard'

soquas
On our wavelength

Hi guys - I hope that you're well.

I've just upgraded to Gig1 BB via a SH 5. I plugged everything in and waited for it to activate. Once this had completed I went to 192.168.0.1 via my browser which resolves to:

http://192.168.0.1/common/first-install-wizard.html

SH5 First-Install-Wizard.jpg

It asks me to select a language (as above), then asks me to login using the Hub password as found on the SH5 itself and asks me to change the Hub password which I do without any problems. Then it asks me to change the WiFi network name and password, which I do without any problem. Then it says that it will re-start then Hub and then I can login to the settings pages using the new Hub password that I've just set (see below):

SH5 Doesn't Reboot.jpg

However, it doesn't re-start the hub (the light of the Hub remains solid white) and the webpage sits there with a spinning wheel indefinitely. When I refresh the browser or close / re-open the browser and type in 192.168.0.1 it goes back to the same First Install Wizard, not the settings page.

I've tried manually powering the Hub off/on and I've reset the Hub (using the recessed reset button). I also repeated the above from multiple devices and using 3 different browsers (Safari, Firefox and Chrome). I've also spend 90 minutes on the phone to VM support who weren't able to fix the problem.

Please note: I have full access to the internet, both via ethernet and WiFi (using the new network and password setting that I entered in the wizard), no problems in that regard, it's just that I'm unable to get into the Hub settings as 192.168.0.1 is always re-directing to the First Install Wizard, not the 'proper' setting page.

I'm using a Mac / iPhone both with the latest version of MacOS / iOS.

My theory: There is a flag in the Hub that is set to show that it's a new Hub and if the Hub would actually re-start having gone through the First Install Wizard then this flag would be cleared, but as described above this doesn't happen and manually re-booting / resetting the Hub doesn't resolve the issue.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas how to get it resolved?

It's very frustrating so any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers.

20 REPLIES 20

Fred66a
Joining in

Am no expert but probably demand a new router unless they can fix it remotely there is no way to fix this without a new hub/engineer visit - demand this

Alternatively try setting up with just the default values first then change them the next time

soquas
On our wavelength

Thanks Fred.

I've got a engineer booked, but it still feels like something relatively trivial that could be resolved without a swap out.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to confirm, you've done the reset correctly? You have to keep the button pressed for 60 seconds and then wait for the Hub to restart in its own time. Do not disturb the power. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

soquas
On our wavelength

When I was on the phone to VM they said to keep the reset button depressed for 10 seconds after which time the light (which was solid white) started flashing before returning to solid white. Afterwards it had reset to the default router password, WiFi network name etc, so I think that it worked. Is there anything additional that you'd get from pressing out for longer? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try this. Fully pinhole reset the Hub 5 and leave it to settle. Rerun the Wizard and do NOT change the WIFI name, just leave it as it is.  The Hub should reboot after this and leave it alone for a while as it will download the latest firmware and reboot again. Try to access after this. From memory I think the Hub doesn’t like the SSID being changed? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Is there anything additional that you'd get from pressing out for longer? 

Some people have reported having to press it longer, the 60 seconds is sometimes quoted 'just to be sure'. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

soquas
On our wavelength

Thanks fella, just on the phone to VM to sort out all the missing channels on my TV package since my 'upgrade' 🙂 but I'll try that this afternoon!

soquas
On our wavelength

Thanks for the tip! I was just wondering if pressing it for an extended period might result in a double re-boot, but I'll try it.

soquas
On our wavelength

Ok, I tried the 60 second reset tip and keeping the WiFi network name the same, but to no avail, unfortunately.