cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer needing Cable Repull

Hammo97
Joining in

Hi, I have just moved into my new home, where after being advised by the previous owner, to use Virgin Media as my broadband provider. After signing up to the broadband and given the option of self install, I opted with that, being reasonably tech savvy and thinking it would be straight froward considering previous occupant used Virgin Media.

I set up the box, but I get no Wi-Fi pulling through whatsoever, a technician gets sent out, and says that the cable running from their box is not working and could be severed etc.

He then arranged for a cable repull to be done in 24/48 hours.

I get a phone call the next day from cable repull team saying that they are at my address and the cable should be pulled through today.

I get home and it’s all still the same and looks like no work has been done. However, I have received a text this evening saying that my cable repull has been rearranged for tomorrow instead from this number -:+44 7445 576718

So my questions are

1) is this number I received a message from legit and is the reschedule going to actually happen

2) am I entitled to any compensation due to having my box delivered 4 days ago, and have had no signal whatsoever since the “self install”. After reading other forums I am expecting other delays in the cable repull process so expecting to have no connectivity what so ever for many more days/weeks

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You are likely to be subjected to VM's automated processes. After the 'Quick Start' kit is delivered, VM considers your connection 'activated' and will start billing you shortly afterwards.

In VM's own T&Cs, however, they state that a failed 'Quick Start' is counted as a fault for the purposes of compensation (para 6 below). So, VM has 2 full working days to fix the fault after you phoned in to notify VM of the problem. If that doesn't happen, you get an initial £9.33 for the first few days of no connection inc. VM's fix time, then £9.33 per full calendar day until you are connected.

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

As to when that will be, no one at VM will be able to give you a reliable answer as the work lies in the hands of the sub-contractor and comm's and management of installations seems to be very poor between VM and its contractors.

You should start keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Hammo97 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue and thank you to goslow for their advise here so far. 

Can I ask how things are looking since your last post? Are your services now up and running? 

All sorted - technician was great and kept on top of things for me until thing where done!