cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi varying

Bikernp10
Joining in

Help

About 2 weeks ago the Wi-Fi speed in my house started dropping out and became vey slow. To cut a long story short, after two lengthy conversations with technical support, factory resets etc. I had a technician visit. The hub was changed to a hub 5, the splitter was changed and I was left with a great speed. The speed deteriorated again after two days.  I booked another technician who arrived and said there was nothing he could do. His comment was that it was the size of my house that was the issue and he left. Wi-Fi is still varying. Nothing has changed  in my house in the last 2 weeks. It seems that VM are not listening to me. I had another technical phone call today with no resolution. Over the last 2 weeks, I have used an app to test the router, download and upload speeds and they are not consistent. Can anyone suggest a structured set of tests I can carry out to convince VM. that their service has changed, or any ideas to help me to solve my problem.
Apologies for the long post

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

The link below tests a VM Hub in Router mode, it shows the speed at the VM Hub + at the device.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

Expect the speed at the Hub to reflect your subscription rate.
Speed of Wi-Fi depends on the device capability and its distance from the Hub.

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bikernp10, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the problems you've been having 😔

How have things been since you posted? Also, have you tried following the advice provided by @Client62?

Advice on how to fix slow internet speeds can be found here

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Daniel

I have used the tips you refer to above on several occasions. They always come up with the same let us reset your hub. On each occasion after the reset there is no difference at all. 

I have also used the hub configuration tool , when checking my status I get this error message “your home network has a few problems” and there are exclamation marks against Ethernet and Wi-Fi status, again i use the connection tool but nothing imroves. The diagnostic tool shows that there are two Ethernet systems one connected to Sonos and the other the boosters and the televisions. 

When the first engineer left he installed a new hub 5, whoever as a result i now have two SSID’s one is the old hub 3 and the other is the new hub 5. The i phones and the iPads connect to the old SSID indicated on their settings pages and  the router settings page which tells me there are no wireless devices connected, so i am assuming that the old SSID is taking precedence. Does this effect the performance ?

In summary 

I have had two calls with the technical help dept., two engineer visits a new hub and spent a great amount of time trying to correct the problem of a sudden change in Wi-Fi performance which I am fairly sure is VM service as nothing has changed in my house the original router was not moved, none of my static devices have mov

ed and i have not built a new concrete and steel extension. When the best advice the 2nd engineer offered was “you have a big house buy a mesh system” I am sceptical of his expertise and commitment. Nothing has changed in my setup too bring about this deterioration in performance. No one at Virgin Media is listening to me!

Thanks for you help but i do not have the technical expertise to set up a modem on my Mac.

Hi Bikernp10,

So I can go through a few of the notes on the account with you, I've popped you over a private message.

Alex_Rm