cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting

Mark1871
Dialled in

I keep losing WiFi randomly throughout the day. It’ll disconnect my devices and the WiFi signal light on the hub flashes for a while before reconnecting. I’ve reset the hub as per advice from the connect app. It’s still happens. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can we check… are your issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on one to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Just Wi-Fi. Tv is connected via Ethernet cable and seems ok. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK - see this then...

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

So I have to put up with this issue unless I pay more? Yeah that isn’t happening. Not enough for working broadband. Why should I pay more for something that doesn’t work? 

I appreciate your advice but I’m not sure I should be paying more just to get something I already pay for to work properly.

Hey Mark1871,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection at the moment. I have looked further into this on our system and have found an issue with your power levels that would need a technician visit to resolve the problems. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Thanks. I have replied.