cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapo devices not connecting to Virgin router

Bobbykins
Tuning in

Hi,

I have read a few posts from people asking similar questions but none seem to have a solution, and none seems not match my experience.

I have a couple of Tapo bulbs, two sockets and a camera. Until about 10 days ago they were all successfully working, having been set up about 12 months ago, or more.

Then about 10 days ago, I could no longer contact any of the devices using the Tapo app.

I made no changes to the environment between a working/not working configuration.

I have since tried deleting a couple of devices and reconnecting. Each refused to connect to the router. Each type of device has a slightly different procedure for reset and connection so I have paid particular attention to each step.

I have since tried using the devices I deleted from my Virgin router by connecting to a friends Sky router. All connected successfully. So the devices are not a problem. Nor is my Tapo account or the phone hosting the app.

• Yes, I have to disable 'Mobile data' on my phone 
  • Yes, I have tried a different device (tablet) to perform the setup.
  • Yes, I have read the f manual. 
  • Yes I have tried rebooting the router
  • Yes, I am using the correct password 
  • Yes, I have been through the setup process a number of times.
  • Yes, the router seems to behave normally in all other respects.

Yes, I have to admit I have Hub 2. I saw no reason to change (if ain't bust...). Indeed another correspondent on this forum went down the upgrade route but it didn't solve their problem.

One suggestion in the Tapo documentation is "are the devices on a blocked list". My examination of the router says no. As stated I haven't made any changes.

I'm thinking that maybe the Virgin router has been

• remotely updated without my knowledge (does this happen?),
  • is work being carried out to deliberately degrade 'obsolete' routers?
  • hacked in a way I cannot detect?
  • router has developed a very specific fault

Anyone had similar problem and found a solution?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Using a free Wi-Fi analyser app check if the Hub 2 still broadcasting the expected SSIDs on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz  Wi-Fi bands.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Legend

Using a free Wi-Fi analyser app check if the Hub 2 still broadcasting the expected SSIDs on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz  Wi-Fi bands.

Vinegar
Up to speed

@Bobbykins 

I'm thinking that maybe the Virgin router has been

• remotely updated without my knowledge (does this happen?),
    Yes it absolutely does happen, the hub is not yours it’s their’s, you rent it, and VM reserve the right to do whatever that want with it, whenever they want. Now obviously they aren’t going to be deliberately annoying customers so these updates tend to happen in the early hours. Also the Hub 2 is well out of support so I’d be astonished if they were even bothering to deploy any updates for it.
  • is work being carried out to deliberately degrade 'obsolete' routers?
  • No, why would they? From a commercial perspective, they are more than happy for people to continue to use obsolete equipment otherwise it costs them to replace it! They don’t want to support it, so if you have an issue, it’ll be replaced, but they have not reason to want to accelerate this - it cost money!

• hacked in a way I cannot detect?
  • Maybe, but probably not, or it is the world’s least useful hack!

• router has developed a very specific fault
  • Ah yes now this is more likely, as mentioned below, it is quite possible that the hub is no longer broadcasting on the 2.4 GHz bands which a lot of IoT stuff uses. As I said the hub is old, so this certainly cannot be ruled out. As Client62 says, you need to check this with a WiFi analyser application.

Anyone had similar problem and found a solution?

TIA

Thank you for quick and detailed response. Haven't been in position to try anything until today.

I'm aware these things use 2.4 Ghz and saw that service being available for connection so assumed it was ok.. But I have since tried a net analyser and can see the -2G SSID. And have made doubly sure the phone is on that network at the appropriate time.

Furthermore I have since added an ESP WROOM 32 device which can successfully connect to the same LAN (and internet) and I believe also uses the 2.4 Ghz band.  Very puzzled.

Thanks

Sorry, somehow managed to flag this as accepted solution (just wanted to add kudos). Not solved yet 🤔

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bobbykins,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for any issues faced with this particular device, can I ask through the Hub settings page, is the device showing through there at all?

Also is there an error message popping up at all?

Let us know,

Kain

Kain

Devices that I had successfully working prior to the problem are still listed, but not working as far as the Tapo App is concerned. I have left a couple in situ, just in case.

Having deleted a device using Tapo and attempting to add it back does not see it being added to the list of connected devices. Similarly, trying to add a new device not previously registered behaves the same: refuses to connect the VM******-2G network.

There are no visible errors messages other than the generally helpful message that the Tapo App provides telling you what you can try. The only information really is that the device won't connect to selected network.

I'm inclined to try and get a Hub5 - the reason I haven't till now was that "if it ain't bust, don't fix it". I notice that Virgin say that Hub2 are still perfectly acceptable to carry on using, not so the Hub3. Also, I try to do my bit for the environment not upgrading at every opportunity. 

Bob

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

As the Hub itself is quite old, the first thing we will need to do is replace this. If you continue to have the same issues, we'll be in a better position to help further. 

We'll need to confirm some information with you to get this done so I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Bobbykins, 

Thanks for taking the time to stick with me in private message. 

I'm glad to hear that the replacement hub has resolved the issue for you for now. 

If you do notice any further issues, pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Many thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath,

I am having the same issue with my hub3 not connecting to Tapo devices, can you advise how I request a replacement hub?

Gary