cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed not as promised

allensian
Joining in

Absolutely sick and tired of trying to sort our broadband speed issues. Upgraded to Gig1 after almost cancelling as we thought it would be more beneficial than swapping providers but our speed is now worse than it was with our previous package. We have 3 pods, SamKnows always shows that we're getting the speed as advertised but any other speed tests are always must lower.

Today I have been told that Virgin promise speed on wired connection only which I've never heard before and can't seem to find anything official that says so, but honestly this makes the package seem like a complete con! I don't understand why we should be paying for a service that we will never receive. 

Does anyone have a similar experience and any advice of what to do next?

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

The link below tests the network speed to the Hub and between the Hub and your device...

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

Share a screenshot of the results please.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

All broadband providers are the same, they only promise speed over ethernet connections.

They each have different arrangements for WiFi. VM's promise is to provide a minimum of 30Mbps download using up to three of their Pods.

If you buy a faster broadband connection in the hope of getting faster WiFi you are unfortunately wasting your money. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Shown the SamKnows test and a google speed test. I understand that we won't get the full advertised speed wirelessly but sometimes my partner will get around 12mbps on his computer and that is worse than when we were on our previous, lower package! 

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.40.13.pngScreenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.41.28.png

happychappy2
Tuning in

I've cut and paste VM WiFi Guarantee statement below. Hope this helps as a starting point. I'm currently going through hell, trying to get my first pod.

I have two bedrooms and the conservatory getting less than 30mbs, and I'm being ask to climb through hoops to justify the first pod, which when the VM connect app can't get a strong enough wifi signal to take a test reading, it's hard to get proof. They need an everage test result, which as far as I'm concerned under the circumstances should be three or more test results, when the wifi signal is next to nothing, but you try telling VM that!

Cut and paste below 

With our WiFi Guarantee with WiFi Max, you’ll enjoy download speeds of at least 30Mbps in every room or get £100 bill credit on your next bill. The offer goes hand in hand with our self-optimising Intelligent WiFi technology that’s loaded onto our Hubs 3, 4 and 5 and that adapts to what’s happening in your home to give you the most reliable WiFi, all the time.

Please start a new thread for a new & unrelated topic.

Hello allensian.

Thank you very much for joining our Community.
Can I just apologise for the upgrade you were advised would help with the connection.

If this was with in the last 14 days you are able to revert back to the original package.

Also its a bit worrying about the intermittent speeds on your partners device.
We can run a few tests from here and check on your equipment.
Sadly it's not showing anything wrong, So I will need to send you a private message to gain account access and run further tests.
If you can check the envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L