cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Connection across multiple devices

mrlittle888
Tuning in

 Hello

We have a recurring problem where the virgin app shows multiple devices have a poor connection with the red warning triangle. We have a Hub 3 and about 13-15 devices connected, but only every streaming from a maximum of 2 devices at once. Wifi speed seems fine on speed tests and the Virgin signal app shows good signal across the whole house. The vm connect app also keeps showing the “whoops something went wrong” page which I suspect is due to lost connection. Please help!

IMG_6645.png

IMG_6647.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Should I just buy a better router? We are on the M100 fibre package".

I would say - yes to the router - it ought to resolve all of your connection issues forever - at modest expense

Upgrading the package "may" get you a slightly more competent Hub and increased bandwidth - but from what you say you are doing it shouldnt be an issue.  A 4k Netflix screen is most "hungry" needing ~25Mbps/stream if these are normal HD its ~5 Mbps - everything else is much less - just search to find what your activities require.

See this first...

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

mrlittle888
Tuning in

In addition to the above, also have difficulty connecting to the hub through VM Connect app:

IMG_6649.png

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey mrlittle888,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection and the connect app. 

Have you tried to reboot your hub and remove and re-install the connect app since the issues started?

Have you ever been able to access the Connect App?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven

thanks for taking the time to reply. I have tried rebooting and reinstalling the router and hub app but the problem persists. I finally managed to uncover Virgin’s phone number and got through to an engineer who essentially told me that I had too many devices connected. I had a maximum of 14 devices connected, though not all using high data. The virgin engineer said a maximum of 5 devices should be connected at any one time, which seems crazy. So at the moment I have had to disconnect some devices and seen an improvement. Apparently my only other option would be to upgrade? But that’s just not financially viable for us. The speeds we were getting were perfectly fine (no 4k streaming or anything like that in the house) but it seems the router just can’t cope with more than 4 devices connected? Do you think I have any other options? Should I just buy a better router? We are on the M100 fibre package.

thanks

John

Thanks for trying this @mrlittle888 

The router should be fine to handle what you have described. 

Wifi is affected by many different factors, and each WiFi connected device will be sharing the available bandwidth that is broadcasting. 

So if you had 100mbps with 14 devices requesting access and downloaded all at the same time, you might find that devices that have been idle may be slower or lose connection. 

There are also device bandwidths limitation, requirements and age can play a big factor in overall WiFi performance. 

Do you notice any issues at all with wired devices or is it just over WiFi and if so, is it specific devices that seem to be more affected? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Should I just buy a better router? We are on the M100 fibre package".

I would say - yes to the router - it ought to resolve all of your connection issues forever - at modest expense

Upgrading the package "may" get you a slightly more competent Hub and increased bandwidth - but from what you say you are doing it shouldnt be an issue.  A 4k Netflix screen is most "hungry" needing ~25Mbps/stream if these are normal HD its ~5 Mbps - everything else is much less - just search to find what your activities require.

See this first...

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.