cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One device won’t connect to hub 5x

Paula080808
Joining in

Just installed hub5x with 1GB of speed. Every device in the house which is around 7 devices had connected successfully, my laptop however won’t even pick up true virgin network from the available WiFi list? 

I am at my wits end with trying to get to the bottom of this virgin been no help and I can’t bring myself to ring them again😫 someone please help🙏

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You have too many devices get a router for your hub and have devices to it then when VM does modem mode use that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

If that is a laptop with a single band 2.4GHz Wi-Fi adaptor it may not be compatible with the Hub 5x Wi-Fi 6 signal.

The identical problem also exists with the Hub 5 ( the non XGS-PON version ) & the fix for a laptop is to use a current dual band USB Wi-Fi adaptor such as a £10  TP-LINK AC600 Nano or similar.

Load of rubbish. Hub 5x can easily handle up to 20 devices, if not more.

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.

Wi-Fi 6 still uses 2.4Ghz, the amount of bands are irrelevant. 

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.

89537kay3
Dialled in

Right, lets get this sorted.

Few things spring to mind straight away. What type of Wireless security are you using on the Hub5x? You can find this out by going to 192.168.0.1 in your browser, loggging in (First time login it will be your WPS pin for password and you'll be asked to reset it). Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings, Wireless then Security. You can take a screenshot (Be sure not to include your password) or just tell us, what it says next to "Security" on the right side (It should start with WPA2 or WPA3 or WPA-PSK etc). Some older devices don't support newer security.

Next thing to check would be the type of signal. On your router, like above, login and go to Advanced Settings, Wireless and then Wireless signal. Take a screenshot of this page, but the main things i'm looking at is "Signal Width" and "Wireless Mode".

Last thing to check would be settings on the laptop, but lets check the above first to ensure the Hub is broadcasting the right type of signal.