cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 automatically switched OUT of modem mode

ecs0set
Joining in

I woke up to no internet this morning.  My VM hub 5 which has been in modem mode for years was showing white rather than green.

A hour of reboots, factory resets, reconfig and relaunch in modem mode and it's back.  I suspect a failed remote firmware update.

Anybody else seen the same thing?

Some useful improvements for consideration by Virgin Media:

• Don't place the reset button on the bottom of a device
  • Don't put default settings password on the bottom of device
  • Don't wedge the miniscule power switch between the power socket and cable socket
  • Use the HTTPS protocol for settings
  • Don't send email passcodes when I've told you my internet is down
4 REPLIES 4

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ecs0set,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had some trouble with your Hub 5 recently, but I'm glad to hear that this has now been resolved for you. Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can help you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

To clarify, it hasn't "been resolved for me".  I spent an hour fixing it...VM customer service were first closed and then unaware of the concept of a "firmware update", insisting it was an issue outside of the local area.  They still have not been in contact to confirm why it happened, despite promising to do so.

I am having the same problem, twice it has happened to me now, after my initial set-up all was fine for over a year, then my hub 5 all by itself came out of modem mode because the white light is showing instead of green.

Second time I had to do pretty much all that you described, except it took me close to 4 hours to get it back. Last night the WiFi was very hit and miss, then the hubs lights went from green to white....why?

About to phone VM up but suspect it will be a half hour wait with no resolve what so ever!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some useful improvements for consideration by Virgin Media:

• Don't place the reset button on the bottom of a device - I have never had need to use it, probably done so it’s not accessible to ‘little fingers’.
  • Don't put default settings password on the bottom of device - Don’t you keep a note of this in a safe place.
  • Don't wedge the miniscule power switch between the power socket and cable socket - Never used it always best to use the wall switch, the hub switch does not reset the power supply which may have a problem.
  • Use the HTTPS protocol for settings - Why? You are only accessing the hub on your local LAN not the WAN, so there is no reason to use HTTPS.
  • Don't send email passcodes when I've told you my internet is down - A large number of users have a smart phone with internet access, what other option is open to VM.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2