cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - Can't disable DHCP

WillM1
Tuning in

I have just received the Hub 5 and it is set up. I have found I am unable to disable the DHCP server, which I previously had disabled in the Hub 3. I have logged out and back in, and rebooted the hub.

I have my own DHCP server and this will potentially cause big problems on my network. Is there anywhere I can report this, or is there help I can get here?

When trying to disable it, I get an error "Sorry! There was an error while updating your settings. Please try again a bit later.".

Also on the DHCP page, if you edit the text boxes (while set to Enabled), the "Apply changes" button remains greyed out and you can't apply the changes.

WillM1_0-1656527560145.png

The actual error returned from the API is:

{"status":403,"message":"Forbidden subnet","errorCode":262178}

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@WillM1 ok if you have only just receive the 5 then I assume you still have your earlier hub, in which case absolutely DO NOT send it back, just in case.

Yes, having two DHCP servers on the same subnet is a recipe for problems unless you are very careful about setting them up. So first thing. To try is a full factory reset of the hub, ie press and hold in the reset button for 60 seconds or so. Now after that if the problem persists then you have to consider the following.

The hub5 is still on a trial / soft launch / beta test basis. There absolutely are bugs in it, and well done to you for finding another one, I’m sure that VM will be pulling all the stops out to fix it! Otherwise, your options are to live with it and use it in favour of your own DHCP server or call VM, tell them that the Hub 5 is not ‘fit for purpose’ and insist they reactive your old hub, which you have sensibly not sent back!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

@WillM1 ok if you have only just receive the 5 then I assume you still have your earlier hub, in which case absolutely DO NOT send it back, just in case.

Yes, having two DHCP servers on the same subnet is a recipe for problems unless you are very careful about setting them up. So first thing. To try is a full factory reset of the hub, ie press and hold in the reset button for 60 seconds or so. Now after that if the problem persists then you have to consider the following.

The hub5 is still on a trial / soft launch / beta test basis. There absolutely are bugs in it, and well done to you for finding another one, I’m sure that VM will be pulling all the stops out to fix it! Otherwise, your options are to live with it and use it in favour of your own DHCP server or call VM, tell them that the Hub 5 is not ‘fit for purpose’ and insist they reactive your old hub, which you have sensibly not sent back!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, that is a good idea. Though, would definitely love to resolve it!

I'll give it a full factory reset when it is a bit quieter in the house, and see how that goes.

EDIT: Didn't realise saying your answer was helpful would mark my thread as answered...

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM might as well remove being able to disable DHCP or change its IP range since they don't support it and would make people selling hub pointless.

Just use modem mode and get your own router
---------------------------------------------------------------

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue.

I can't answer for sure, I got fed up and set up my own router.

It isn't really a great answer to Virgin shipping broken hardware, but it was something I wanted to do anyway and had been putting it off for a long time.

Just to update in case anyone else is searching... my Hub 5 has updated to software version LG-RDK_3.18.30-2112.12 and I am now able to disable DHCP 😀

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for coming back and reporting the fix.  Hopefully it hasn't broken something else  😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am in the same boat now. Any recommendations on the router?