cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I order a WiFi Pod?

LoneTrader
Joining in

I am experiencing poor WiFi performance (<5Mbps) in a couple of areas of my house, as confirmed by the VM Connect app. The app tells me I should "simply give us a call" to order a Wifi Pod, which my Volt benefits are supposed to include. However, after multiple calls to the 150 support line, I am no further forward.

The system keeps asking for characters from my "memorable word", which is not something I recall being asked for on previous occasions when I have needed support. It tells me this would have been recorded when I first signed up for VirginMedia services, but as that was nearly 15 years ago and I haven't needed it since, I have no idea what it might have been. (It clearly isn't my Virgin password). The one time I managed to speak to one of the team, I was told that because I couldn't answer this question I had "failed the security checks" and was then cut off. If this is now so important, surely there must be a way I can reset it?

As well as the above, in recent months I have also been experiencing regular short outages of my broadband service, which affects my phones, computers and catch-up TV. The service sometimes comes back within a couple of minutes, or I have to restart the Hub and/or the TiVo box instead. Unfortunately, its intermittent nature makes it impossible for me to re-create this problem, so Virgin's remote tests or my own checks on service availability usually say everything looks fine. It seems unlikely that the broadband feed into my house is so unreliable, so maybe my 7 year old Hub 3 needs some attention?

Could someone from Virgin please help me to resolve these issues, as your automated Help services and even a live member of your support team have proved unable to do so.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See if any of these helps you get started....

You can text VM on 0753 305 1809 include account name/number and what the issue is, there is also a “Chat” option on their website - but note that replies usually take longer. Or you can speak to the team on WhatsApp by logging into your online account via a mobile handset and there will be a link to speak to VM by Whats App (the number is 0730 532 71120 ) - you can use the same number for their other social media platforms too - so try them all (usual ones).

FINALLY… A VM person will pick this up on here and respond, but it can take a few days for them to get here.

Re the connection issues - see this old post for info...

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See if any of these helps you get started....

You can text VM on 0753 305 1809 include account name/number and what the issue is, there is also a “Chat” option on their website - but note that replies usually take longer. Or you can speak to the team on WhatsApp by logging into your online account via a mobile handset and there will be a link to speak to VM by Whats App (the number is 0730 532 71120 ) - you can use the same number for their other social media platforms too - so try them all (usual ones).

FINALLY… A VM person will pick this up on here and respond, but it can take a few days for them to get here.

Re the connection issues - see this old post for info...

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, that's most helpful - I shall give your suggestions a try whilst waiting for VM to respond.

Hi there @LoneTrader 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see you've been having issues with your connection. @jbrennand has given some great information on how Pods can be used and ordered.

I've also checked our system and can see you've spoken to the team since your last post. Have they now been able to help with this? If not, just give us a shout. We're always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

LoneTrader
Joining in

Thanks Nathan

I managed to speak to someone this morning and believe a WiFi Pod has now been ordered for me. I just have to wait up to a couple of weeks for a message to confirm that!

Fingers crossed . . .

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It should show in your "orders" section of your online account

--------------------
John
--------------------