cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to router with Hub 3 in modem mode

nz
Tuning in

Hi, Virgin have just replaced a broken hub with the 3.0 model.  I put it in modem mode as with the last one to connect to the existing wifi router but there was no internet connection from the latter.  It took me a while to realize that this was because the cable between the two was plugged into port 4 on the hub and it only started working after switching to port 1.  Is this known, noted anywhere?  I didn't try the other two ports.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi nz

Thanks for your post, welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm so sorry if you have been advised otherwise, however yes - only port one on every Hub model will work in modem mode. Wireless communications are also turned off.

If you have anymore questions for us, please don't hesitate to ask 😊

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi nz

Thanks for your post, welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm so sorry if you have been advised otherwise, however yes - only port one on every Hub model will work in modem mode. Wireless communications are also turned off.

If you have anymore questions for us, please don't hesitate to ask 😊

Beth

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its possible VM know something we don't about wired connected devices that that some NIC don't link up and that VM makes each port with given code for the link to work. Or just bad coding of the link negotiation either on the hub or device. With the hub 3 any one port will work 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,  I won't need to experiment with the other ports.  I haven't been advised otherwise, or at all.  Is this noted anywhere publicly available?