cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change location of broadband hub

markjeffery
Tuning in

Hi,

I would like to move my broadband hub from my study area to the loft with wifi cabled up with various access points (looking to improve wifi performance over a mesh, and to also have external access point for my garden)

There is already a brown box at the base of the wall (feeding TV to the loft bedroom). I would like to change the broadband to go to the loft area instead.

How can I book an engineer to do this?

Mark

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can just call it in on the fault line they should be able to book a tech visit to move the Hub.

A few points to note. 

It will cost £25. 

Techs wont install above the first floor with external cabling - its H&S of course - there are special "heights teams" that can do this - but whether you can request one I dont know.  Also the attic will need easy access and be floor boarded. 

More likely that they would just run coax cable from the Hub internally - pinned to the skirting boards, door frames etc and then up into the loft.  But as you already have TV up there they may just simply swap the boxes over or add a splitter.  Then balance signal levels.

VM will not do any ethernet cabling or wifi access points for you - that is DIY.  They will offer their wifi Pods and will charge you for them unless you are a Volt subscriber.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

markjeffery
Tuning in

That is fantastic! One more question for you. If the coax cable has already been run up to the loft room for Virgin TV, can that coax be used for the new broadband connection?

markjeffery
Tuning in

All work could be done inside then, which makes things a lot easier.

I have floorboards in my loft, and will be wiring up the wifi access points.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@markjeffery wrote:

That is fantastic! One more question for you. If the coax cable has already been run up to the loft room for Virgin TV, can that coax be used for the new broadband connection?

In simple terms yes... you have two VM connection and should be able to swap the downstairs Hub to the attic and the TV box (which one?) onto the other one downstairs.  Try it as an experiment.  But the length of cable to the Hub will have changed (significantly) so the power levels may need adjusting by the Tech.  Also if you want TV & Hub upstairs and something downstairs too - then you will need a splitter somewhere - again a Tech job. 

Just book one in they should sort it for you easily

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.