cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLWORLD.com address - works in Thunderbird, cannot log in to it on Virgin website

MonkDave666
On our wavelength

I have a couple of @ntlworld.com addresses. I have always had them and am still a Virgin broadband member. These email addresses work inside Thunderbird on my desktop, and indeed I can send and receive messages. However, when I try to log in to them online so that I can change the passwords, or even just access the emails on the Virgin Media site like I can my vriginmedia.com addresses, they are not recognised - what do I do? Is there a dedicated portal for owners of those email addresses to be able to log in to? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To determine if these email accounts are linked to your broadband account use the main account holder's authentication credential to sign into My Virgin Media and then:

• select Account settings > Account details > Manage other My Virgin Media accounts

Are the email address you cannot sign into listed there?

• Yes. if you have updated the Sign in Email Address for these account then use the third-party email address when signing into My Virgin Media or webmail
  • No. Then it seems likely these email addresses are being processed as “unlinked account” and are progressing towards their deletion. If this is the case then you will need to wait for the forum team for further help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

MonkDave666
On our wavelength

Thanks, what do you mean by "main account holder's authentication credential"? I log in with a different email (virginmedia one I set up more recently) and there's no "manage other virgin media accounts" - I do remember in the past my main ntlworld was the main one, and had other accounts tied to it (including my virginmedia one I guess) - but that's the account I can't even log in to. If they have "unlinked" it and are deleting it after 20+ years, that's pretty insane tbh. Should I have had an email telling me that's what they're doing?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sound like you have:

• a previous ntlword.com email address with its associated secondary email accounts
  • and a current virginmeda.com email address with no secondary emails accounts

You will need to wait for the forum team to help determine the best course of action; be aware that should they decide to link your previous email addresses with your current broadband account then it will result in the loss of your current email addresses.

MonkDave666
On our wavelength

That all seems highly messy tbh, but this is Virgin we're talking about and we did endure months of hacks last year wasn't it, so I guess what you're saying in not so many words is just completely phase out the two ntlworld.com email addresses I have as fast as possible and let the hacker have them, right?

Because if there's no way of accessing them in a way I can change the password, then they can't change it either? I only have access to them through a 4 word app style password direct in to my desktop via Thunderbird. But neither that code, or the password I used to use to login online work online anymore... so basically we're at a stalemate, and it's time to ditch them both? I obviously don't want anything happening to my virginmedia email address, as I can get in to the account online with that one.

Hey @MonkDave666,

Thanks for reaching out, as stated here, it seems like your emails are across 2 different accounts, can you confirm if you have an old MYVM account with us or have moved house in your tenure with us? This could mean as stated that you have 2 MY VM accounts listed under different emails and hence have different access to each of them, if this is the case we could look into this with you but would need to clear security on all accounts.

Joe

MonkDave666
On our wavelength

No, I have not moved him in 11 years, and it looks like I have the same account number now as I did back in 2019 (which is when I started getting bills via email by the looks of it, as that's how far back mine go). I have also been able to access the ntlworld.com ones online up until fairly recently, although I can't say exactly when the last time was. June last year though I had to get a new package, as I had "full house" and was paying such an insane amount compared to newer packages with the same stuff in it, I called to demand they switch it over (for half the price) - is it possible that making those changes somehow broke my old email addresses?

Hey @MonkDave666,

Thanks for getting back to us, with this the change to the package shouldn't affect the emails in this way, however given the situation I would like to look into this further with you, for us to do so I will be sending you a private message.

Joe