cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to websites on the same IP Address

colinc101
Joining in

I host two websites on the same web host and so they share the same IP address. However, all of a sudden I cannot connect to either of them through the Virgin broadband router, that is the websites and they FTP server through an FTP client. I can however connect to the websites using mobile data and other people can see them using a broadband router.

All this points for my IP address being blocked by either the ISP (Virgin) or by the website hosts. How can I find out if Virgin has blocked the IP address to these websites and if I can they unblock it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

asim18
Fibre optic

It's unlikely that VM has blocked any access here.

Chances are you have tripped webhost's firewall and it's now dropping all requests from your IP address.

Contact your web host. If their support is any good, they will also be able to tell you exactly what caused the trip.

I recently had exactly the same issue with my web host after I tried to connect to SMTP with a wrong password. They managed to unblock my IP in seconds.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

asim18
Fibre optic

It's unlikely that VM has blocked any access here.

Chances are you have tripped webhost's firewall and it's now dropping all requests from your IP address.

Contact your web host. If their support is any good, they will also be able to tell you exactly what caused the trip.

I recently had exactly the same issue with my web host after I tried to connect to SMTP with a wrong password. They managed to unblock my IP in seconds.

Thanks asim18.

I did email my web hosting company to see if they had blocked my IP, as I had a few errors come up when I was trying to update the live site, but was told they didn’t think that was the issue, although I think they use a third-party company for hosting and so they need to check with them.

I will get back onto them and ask them to check the firewall and unblock my IP or put my IP on the whitelist.

Thanks again.