cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blink Doorbell not connecting to Virgin Hub 4

Jbrim96
Joining in

Hi,

Just bought a Blink Video Doorbell for my new house I've moved in to.

Almost instantly come across an issue with getting the device setup/connected to the WiFi. Quite simply... It doesn't connect.

Every time I try to set up the device, the Blink app says it is unable to connect to the WiFi, saying either the WiFi password is incorrect or the WiFi is not working.

I have tried splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and creating unique SSIDs for the two as the Blink Video Doorbell only operates on the 2.4Ghz network. Trying this way also result in the same outcome. Unable to connect due to incorrect WiFi password or WiFi is not working.

I even tried to fully disable 5Ghz on the Hub 4 but the same results.

Disabled smart optimization. 

When getting more stuck in to troubleshooting, I tweaked the WiFi setting trying to repeat the Blink Video Doorbell set up on 2.4Ghz channels 1-11 but with no luck. I even tried disabling WiFi security! Even tried fully disabling the firewall on the Hub4.

Running out of ideas, I tried connecting the Blink Video Doorbell to my Mobile phone hotspot. And low and behold... it connects and sets up on the Blink app!! Once it connected, I thought it would be best to get the Blink Video Doorbell firmware updated and attempt to connect to the Virgin Hub4 again in case of any device firmware preventing it from connecting it to the WiFi but this made no difference.

Realising that its the VM Hub 4 preventing the Blink Video Doorbell from connecting to the WiFi, I borrowed a TP-Link 1Gb router from a friend and put the Hub 4 in Modem mode. The Blink Video Doorbell connects and works with no problems whatsoever. But sadly I have had to give this router back.

I am not in a position to purchase a new router and put the Hub 4 in modem mode, nor do I believe I should do either as I am paying Virgin for a service and they should be the ones resolving this issue.

Anyone got any ideas on what can be done to get the Blink Video Doorbell connected to the Hub 4?

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

Reads like the Hub 4 is not working on the 2.4Ghz band.

With the SSIDs split, use mobile or iPad and test if the Hub 4 is accepting connections on the 2.4Ghz band.

( The mobile & iPad will require WPA2-PSK to be enabled to make a secure connection )

Hi,

sorry I should have been more clearer in my post! The 2.4Ghz band works fine, my phone, laptop, iPad etc all connect to the 2.4Ghz with no problems. Even verified that when I disabled the 5Ghz band too.

Cheers!

How about a low cost 2.4Ghz access point to support the door camera ...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801nd/

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

How about a low cost 2.4Ghz access point to support the door camera ...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801nd/

Might as well go all in and get a better router with 1Gb ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan72
Joining in

Having the exact shame issue, just moved from sky and now my doorbell doesn’t work, would appreciate any advice/help with this. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ryan72,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your Blink doorbell, are all other devices working okay on your network?
Let us know,

Zoie