cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed - Lan Splitter

Jim-M7
Joining in

I have a hub 5 currently in Modem Mode hooked up to my ASUS RT-AC86U Router. I have Gigabit speeds from cabinet to hub5, however this drops from hub5 to router, I feel this may be the router is not geared to handle gigabit speeds.

I mainly got the gigabit to aid with large downloads on xbox etc, but what I was wondering is, could I have a Lan Splitter connected to the hub5s gigabit socket and then connect one port to the Wifi Router and then use one as a direct connection to use as a wired connection for my xbox (just bought a looooong cat6 cable to allow me to do it)

My wifi speeds are around 355mbps which is expected in a house with multiple items connected to the router, however being able to have a direct connection every so often would be great and I don’t want to buy a new router if I can help it.

Any advice appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That Asus is a good wireless router and can certainly handle speeds close to the 1GB.  It does run adaptive QoS software that partitions the bandwidth so share it out across gaming devices (see below).   I think thats where you need to look first to change how that is working - refer to the router manual.

Adaptive QoS – Prioritise Your Game

Boost your gaming bandwidth with Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service), which allows you to easily prioritise gaming packets and activities. You can even assign full dedicated bandwidth while gaming under gamer solo mode, making RT-AC86U the perfect ally for low latency gaming anywhere in your home. It supports major consoles including PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PS4 Pro, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, 3DS and Xbox One.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Their are two problems one is that your only allowed to use one source MAC so if you can VLAN with two devices with the same MAC without conflict and a firewall on each then you can do that. The other problem is DHCP VM DHCP in some or all areas do profiling this means if a DHCP requests are not some what the same you get different IP and you can only have one WAN IP at a time. So unless you know the second is OK than the first will not help.

For most you should get your speed by your Router or even device to the hub in modem mode so if your not getting your speed then none of the above will help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------