cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB Service - repeatedly getting less than 300MB :(

Ausrit
Tuning in

Hey sorry to jump in on this but you seem to know what your talking about so I just wanna ask, does having an active VPN play a massive part in affecting your download speeds? I feel it's kinda rhetorical because I've just switched my VPN off while running a test and my speed jamp 500Mbps but my Xbox however struggles to download games past 150mbps and it has no VPN to my knowledge. 

I know I'm kinda asking a few questions there but and help in knowledge you have would be appreciated. Same as mleaney said I'm getting good speed, just worried I'm not getting what I pay for

[MOD EDIT: Post split to create own thread]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Ausrit.

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you are not getting the speeds you expected.

VPN can play a part in slow speeds.

I guess it will have its own virus protection and security firewalls included.

It is also dependant on how you have connected the console by ethernet or Wifi.

You could also check how many devices you have connected at anyone time.

With you being on 1GB I guess its a hub4 or 5 then they tend to struggle as the limit is 30 devices.

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Ausrit.

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you are not getting the speeds you expected.

VPN can play a part in slow speeds.

I guess it will have its own virus protection and security firewalls included.

It is also dependant on how you have connected the console by ethernet or Wifi.

You could also check how many devices you have connected at anyone time.

With you being on 1GB I guess its a hub4 or 5 then they tend to struggle as the limit is 30 devices.

Gareth_L

Client62
Legend

Typically a VPN exit point ( the remote end ) does govern the max speed & it can be a lot less that a 1Gb/s especially at busy times when the VPN provider is under load.

Again the  the XBOX game / file server will be governing the download rate to ensure all get some service at the most busy times.

Neither of these are rate limitations that are being imposed by Virgin Media segment of your connection.

Amazing thank you Gareth! Would it be better for me to connect an ethernet to my Xbox? I did that years ago because I thought the connection would be more stable but does it slow download speeds?

Thank you again

Thank you so much client62, I think the Xbox factor was concerning me more because of large game downloads etc

I've asked if you guys think me connecting an ethernet cable to the Xbox would be better, I'll wait and see what you guys think. I disconnected my VPN on downloads anyway so it's went way up thankfully

Client62
Legend

Better vs Wi-Fi in that a network cable offer a solid 1Gb/s connection, with full duplex transmission, minimal latency, minimal jitter and  zero packet loss.

It can not solve issues that happens beyond the connection to the public internet.

Such as speed limited downloads or games servers that are overloaded & keep crying packet loss !