cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract without exit fees

Fiona18
Joining in

Hi

My contract ends on 22nd December 2023. I'd like to exit early due to many problems ( speed, communication, cost). I thought I read that exit fees were waived until end October 2023, but now I can't find that information. If correct, does this mean I still have to give notice on 23rd November 2023, or can I give my notice ( assuming I can ever reach an agent, many attempts today with no success)today and cancel my next Direct Debit?

Thanks

Fiona

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can legally book your disconnection 60 days before the end date of your contract. Dont let anyone tell you different.

If your contract ends the 22nd of December, you can book that date as the disconnection date from the 22nd of October onwards.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM has been sending out emails to some customers as per this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Can-we-cancel-VM-due-to-Wifi-Hotspot-with...

offering cancellation without EDF. If you have received this notification you have the option to cancel with no EDF.

You need to give VM 30 days notice to cancel.

It is generally recommended to leave your direct debit in place until you have fully completed all financial dealings with VM. VM continues to bill you on its normal billing cycle right up until the day you are disconnected.

Lots of topics on here describe problems when (former) customers have cancelled a direct debit too early which has ultimately ended up with VM logging credit defaults against the customer.

Vinegar
Up to speed

I believe that you can only leave without Early Disconnection Charges (EDC) if your minimum term contract extends beyond April of next year and hence you would be hit by the blanket 3.9% over and above the RPI rate, increases. As your minimum term expires in December, I don’t believe you can take advantage of this.

But it’s now October and VM bill in advance, so if you were to cancel tomorrow giving your 30 day’s notice, taking you up to early November then your EDF would be about two months of your normal monthly fee, less a few quid.

Honestly, I’d just let it go, wait until mid November and then cancel then.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Fiona18 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I am sorry you've not had the best experience with us and it would be a shame for you to leave us. Is there anything I can do to help change your mind? 

If you did want to book in your disconnection, please call the team on 0345 454 1111 who will help further and can advise if you will be liable for any EDF's.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

You can legally book your disconnection 60 days before the end date of your contract. Dont let anyone tell you different.

If your contract ends the 22nd of December, you can book that date as the disconnection date from the 22nd of October onwards.

Thank you, I'm sure I received a letter with that information in it, but now I can't find it, I'll search my emails , it may be there 🤞

Hi Ayisha,

I've tried so many times to speak to someone on the number provided, but have had no luck. I definitely want to leave , preferably  before my contract ends, but only if no exit fees are applied.

Thanks

Hi Fiona18, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and apologies that you've had issues speaking to the team over the phone. 

They are experiencing a high volume of calls but are working as quickly as they can to reach you. You can also WhatsApp the team on 07305327112. Replies aren't instant and can take a few hours however it does allow you to go about your day whilst waiting for a reply. 

Finally you can write a letter stating that you wish to cancel your services. You will need to include a few details including Your account number, name and full address and contact details for you. Send this to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA.

The team will process your 30 day notice from either of these routes and will also be able to advise on if there are any early termination fees. 

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs