cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Landline not working

Peter3012
Joining in

About a week ago I discovered my landline wasn't working

It's the traditional copper wire linked (not one that goes through the hub)

I've contacted VM every day by phone, whatsapp and Virgin Chat. Total call time about 10 hours.

I've done all the checks (remove other phones, pluged simple phone into master socket)

No dial tone, no incomming falls.

VM have done line checks from their end

The web service check shows no faults in my area.

Each time they tell me that there is a fault, engineers are fixing it and give a schedule for when the fault is fixed.

Each time they send a text to say fix is complete, to reset my equipment, wait half an hour and phone will work

Each time it makes no difference, phone doesn't work

All calls were raised to a "level 2 team" response

On the last call, where the agent said that the fault was specific to me, I asked if the engineer could visit to check the fix. This was not possible but I was assured that the agent would call to confirm that everything was working.

I've had this response before but the call did not come, and the phone continued to not work

So today I've had the "everythings fixed" text, reset the gear, waited 30 mins  and tried the phone and guess what - It still doesn't work.

What on earth can I do?

7 REPLIES 7

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Peter3012,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that your currently without a working landline.

We can certainly understand the inconvenience and disruption caused, Remotely, looking from our end, we have double-checked and we can confirm you are still being affected by an area fault currently. 

The estimated fix time has now been pushed back until 17.45 pm this afternoon.

Once again, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi

Thanks for your response.

The agent did call back, and, like you, reported that the work was still going on.

I checked to to see the work status (on an 0800 number I had been given) until it no longer reported as being in progress (no problems in my area).

Then I checked my landline- and its still dead

How can I get an engineer to call and really fix it? Every time I call VM they don't offer me one no matter how hard I try!

Hi Peter3012 👋 Thank you for getting back in touch to let us know!

So sorry to hear you are still having issues with your landline - can i just check what you mean by the phrasing in your post, are you without a dial tone? 

I'm going to send you a PM to take a closer look so we can get someone sent out to you if needed. 

The reason this has not yet happened is any appointment booked whilst there is a known ongoing outage can be automatically cancelled due to the team in the area already working on the fault. 

You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Thanks for the PMs regarding a fix for my landline

I appreciate that you say that engineers are working in my area till Tuesday at 6pm

However I did get a text from VM at 16:17 Saturday (after our chat) saying the fault had been fixed

All services are show as OK when I check.

The phone however continues to not work.

When I contacted the 2nd level team on tuesday/wednesday/thursday 31 Oct, 1st and 2nd Nov I was told the fault was exclusive to my line

Can you confirm that the fault has been registered for compensation since Monday 30 October?

Its 08/11/23 @ 8:41 AM

Landline still doesn't work

Where do I go from here?

Hi All 👋 and thanks to Peter3012 for PMing with me. 📩

Sorry to hear that whilst the fault did resolve itself following the confirmed end of the local outage, that it has re-appeared again. Sadly I can confirm the outage affecting you has been extended and is due to resolve on 09.11.23 at 6pm. I have also now picked up and responded to your messages via PM and will continue to help there for now to avoid any confusion! 

We can return again to this public thread with more updates when possible! 

Just in terms of compensation, we have an auto-compensation scheme which you can read more about here 👉 https://virg.in/autocomp . When you register an outage with us, or if we register an outage for you this will automatically register you for auto-comp. This is assessed and applied automatically, wherever eligible. 

Thanks again for your patience whilst we get things sorted. All the best. 🌞

Molly

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi All 👋 Just returning to keep this public thread updated. 

Huge thanks to Peter3012 for PMing with me 📩 so we were able to confirm a few details and keep an eye on the outage. In the end we booked an engineer who was able to get things sorted by switching over the service to our Voice over IP service. (Landline via hub.) 

For more info about the switchover you can head to this help page on our website 👉 

Landline Switchover | Virgin Media Help or this article via community 👉 Everything You Need To Know - Page 7 - Virgin Media Community - 4757332

I'm really pleased to see things sorted now. Please do let us know if there is anything outstanding you need support with. 

Wishing you all the best! 🌞

Molly