cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two phones on a VM Hub 3?

grahamm77
On our wavelength

I have had Virgin Media Broadband for some years.  Our phone was on a copper land line with Talk Talk.  So I have now combined my phone and broadband - Yes even with Virgin! (Not always a happy bunny with Virgin if I am honest).  So I now have 100Mbps broadband and phone over broadband.  Purchased a new BT cordless phone and extentioin.  The master plugs into the Hub 3 RJ type socket via the Virgin kit! A RJ to BT conversion lead.  These 2 phones work fine pluged in via the one master connection that links to second via wireless.  I had a previous cordless phone that worked on the copper and when I tried it individually worked fine on the Hub3.  I have an RJ to BT type converter like the 'Virgin Kit'.  When I plug it into the second RJ socket on the Hub.  The phone says check Line Connection and doesn't seem to work.  Virgin provide no technical info on their Hub aka phone connections.  In the old days there was a loading in REM numbers.  Can the Hub work with a loading of 2 phones one in each of the RJ? Or does it just not work with effectivly 2 phones on the same phone number on the Hub via the 2 phone sockets.  I hesitate to phone the Help Desk.  For as one forum member said they didn't seem to understand anything about phone except probably plug it in and reboot the hub.  Perhaps the RJ plug to BT socket I have isn't wired the same as the Virgin Media 'kit'  Who knows.  What I need is someone who understands these things to explain it to me aka a VM Hub3 and phone connections.

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The second phone socket on the hub (TEL2) is for if you have a second phone line/number. It is not functional with one line/number (which works on TEL1 by default).

If you want to use two base stations, you need a splitter to allow two phone base stations to connect to TEL1 using VM's RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-bt431a-double-telephone-adaptor/13071

(a generic part you can obtain from many shops)

Alternatively, see if both of your cordless systems are 'GAP' compatible. If so, you may be able to join the handsets from the second cordless system to the base station of the first system. The GAP compatibility allows you to make/receive calls but advanced functions from the second system, joined to the first, may not be available.

If the two systems are the same brand of phone then they may well work seamlessly joined to the same base station.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @grahamm77, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼
I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with the phone line.

The connection for the phone line is through the hub and the hub connects to the broadband network.
So no telephone sockets will be compatible with the 21cv VOIP line.
The hub has 2 telephone ports, and this is for if you have more than one phone line.

Please check to see if your phone is in accordance and this may be causing issues.

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

grahamm77
On our wavelength

That is a really helpful answer.  All Virgin tell you when connecting is receive our Kit - its just a connector. And plug in.  They don't provide info aka the 2 sockets are if you Have 2 seperate phone numbers.  So all I need is a splitter as per you suggestion.  (I'm sure Amazon will do them as well).  This is why I like the forum and its members unlike sometimes talking to the front line help desk in South Africa.  They don't have much technical knowledge.  Thanks once again.  Great

Thanks for getting back to us @grahamm77 on the forums. 🙂

Let us know how it goes and what the outcome is and we can follow up from there regarding this
If there's any more issues, send us a picture of your setup and we'll look out for any issues.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs