cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline isn't working (again)

Pat85
Joining in

As of the 3rd July 2023 (afternoon) my landline no longer works, no dial tone and when people try and call my number they get an engaged tone or a "call failed" indication and I last received a call today in the morning.  Have done the usual checks on the two handsets and there are no problems with those.

Online service status check suggests no known problems in my postcode area (BH16).

I reported this to Customer Services at 21:41 on 3rd July 2023.

Please note the line was also out of order recently for 4 days, between 12th & 16th June.

Initially a technician was being booked to call (I don't know why as I had stressed it was a line fault rather than a home equipment fault).  Today I received an email saying "We've cancelled your technician as it's a fault on our network that's causing the problems with your services.".  However, the online service status check still suggests no known problems in my postcode area (BH16).  This is poor frankly.

I have a care alarm connected via my landline, so this vital aid is also currently not working.  I just hope I don't take a fall in the house and get into difficulties.

Posting this in case other customers currently have similar issues.

6 REPLIES 6

Pat85
Joining in

I have now received a further email saying "Good news, the issue we were experiencing on our network has been fixed and your services should be working again.".  They aren't.  Give me strength.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Pat85 thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here regarding the landline.

It does appear that the outage that was previously affecting you, was a localised outage which is now resolved but it does appear you're still encountering issues sadly.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look to send you a technician to get things fixed for you.

Kindly expect a PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Pat85
Joining in

This is turning into a complete farce.  I have exchanged several PMs with Tom_W, and a priority technician was booked.  Oddly an email then arrived saying the technician appointment was going to be today, 4th July, between 12pm and 4pm.  This was received at 3:02pm.  Needless to say no technician turned up.  A further email arrived at 4:17pm saying "We've cancelled your technician as it's a fault on our network that's causing the problems with your services.".  Then another arrived at 17:32pm saying "Good news, the issue we were experiencing on our network has been fixed and your services should be working again.".

Just as earlier today though, my landline service has NOT been fixed.  I have all but given up hope that it ever will be whilst Virgin Media are in charge of it.  Absolutely clueless so-called "help".

Twice now a priority technician appointment has been cancelled, without first checking with the customer.  Disgraceful frankly.

Hi @Pat85 thanks for your message and also privately too.

We're very sorry to hear this but as I explained over PM, once an outage is identified on the network relating to the issue then any technician appointments to your property are cancelled - this is due to the fault lying elsewhere and you had mentioned this may be likely too.

Our checks show that today your landline is active at the time of writing, how are things today for you? 

Many thanks

Tom_W

It appears that the landline service resumed at some time between 8:30am and 9:20am today.  No one from VM called or emailed to say it had been restored.  It would be nice to discover precisely where it was that the fault occurred (i.e. which cabinet) and the nature of the fault.

Hi @Pat85 thanks for your reply here.

It's great to hear that things are finally sorted for you! We're very sorry for any inconvenience caused and the communication issues, but we trust this is all now fixed going forwards.

Many thanks

Tom_W