cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Phone Switch - Effect On Existing Equipment

Timperley001
Joining in

Can someone please advise whether I can use the new Fibre Phone setup.

My Hub is currently in a ground floor side extension of the house. The current Telephone Master Socket is in the entrance hall of the main house. I also have a second phone upstairs, connected to an extension socket in my bedroom.

Am I right in thinking that the only place I can have a phone connected to VM would be in the Hub located in the ground floor side extension?

I assume the existing master socket in the hall and the extension socket upstairs are rendered redundant?

If this is the case I will probably need to change providers, as my 94 year old Mother needs to be in  contact 24/7 and uses the landline number to call for assistance. I won't be able to hear the phone, in the middle of the night, through 3 brick walls, when in my bedroom!

Don't think VM thought through how this change will effect people.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Timperley001 wrote:

I assume the existing master socket in the hall and the extension socket upstairs are rendered redundant?

If this is the case I will probably need to change providers, as my 94 year old Mother needs to be in  contact 24/7 and uses the landline number to call for assistance. I won't be able to hear the phone, in the middle of the night, through 3 brick walls, when in my bedroom!

This change will be an industry wide change, as all the existing PSTN infrastructure is being retired in 2025, so all telephone providers are on a move to hub based systems. So whoever you go with within the next couple of years, you will still need to plug the phone into a hub eventually.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/future-of-landline-calls 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Timperley001 👋

Thanks for your post, and welcome to our Community Forum.

I'm sorry to hear about the hesitation and caution in regard to the Fibre Phone/21CV service we're rolling out to all Landline customers. This change is mandatory for all Telecommunication Providers to have completed by 2025.

In regard to your current setup, any Landline master sockets or extension sockets would be made redundant as part of this change. However, if you require these to remain in use, and the Hub cannot be co-located near your Landline equipment, then our Technicians can install cabling to your sockets from the back of the Hub, which will provide connectivity to the service as you currently have it today.

Please be aware though, these sockets cannot be cabled wirelessly, so you may find that there are a few more cables around your property than at present, and this is so your wall sockets can be made functional.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Timperley001 wrote:

This change will be an industry wide change, as all the existing PSTN infrastructure is being retired in 2025, so all telephone providers are on a move to hub based systems. So whoever you go with within the next couple of years, you will still need to plug the phone into a hub eventually.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/future-of-landline-calls 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Reece

Many thanks for your answer, it was most helpful and may have solved the problem.

There is an unused telephone socket in the ground floor extension, not far from the hub. This was put in when the extension was built, as we had intended to make this room a 'home office'.

If the hub could be connected to this socket and then use the existing wiring to connect back to the master socket, this would aleviate the need for new wiring and would be much neater.

Would it be possible for a technician to assess this as an option?

Hi @Timperley001 thanks for your reply, no problem at all.

We can certainly explore this option for you and get a technician out to see if this is possible for you.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly, and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W