cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra usage charges

nrigby
Joining in

For the last 2 months I have been charged an extra £2.66 for calls I haven't made. I dont use my home phone at all. Can someone from Virgin please explain what these charges are for as the bill doesn't tell me what the phone numbers are

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you make use of the landline or not use it at all (some VM customers take the landline for the discounted package price but don't use it)?

Call charges are applied if an individual call goes over 60 minutes which is a common cause of unexpected charges.

Some items of equipment (such as call blockers or medical alarms, intruder alarms etc.) can also dial out unexpectedly and generate a charge.

A possibility of 'phantom call' charges also exists (where a technical fault on the line causes the charges).

You might get some help from the VM forum team to clarify, when they reply here within a few days, but (surprisingly) a common response on here is that VM can't/won't tell you where the charges come from.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you make use of the landline or not use it at all (some VM customers take the landline for the discounted package price but don't use it)?

Call charges are applied if an individual call goes over 60 minutes which is a common cause of unexpected charges.

Some items of equipment (such as call blockers or medical alarms, intruder alarms etc.) can also dial out unexpectedly and generate a charge.

A possibility of 'phantom call' charges also exists (where a technical fault on the line causes the charges).

You might get some help from the VM forum team to clarify, when they reply here within a few days, but (surprisingly) a common response on here is that VM can't/won't tell you where the charges come from.

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @nrigby 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies you have had charges for call made. Have you requested an itemised bill to show you what the calls are that have been made? We can submit the request here if not, for that we would need to bring you in for a private message.

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Would an itemised bill show individual charges within the 'sub-50p category' and which individual numbers generated each charge?

All they can tell me is the date but not the number called

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You could try a data subject access request (DSAR)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dsar

and select

Call Records
Outgoing calls from the service provided number for 12 months (Calls made from your number over a 12 month period) - This does not include any non-chargeable calls i.e. calls to 0800, 112, 999 and 911

I don't know what level of detail that will provide but you could try it and see what comes back and see if it helps identify the call charges.