cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Bell

david230946
Joining in

We are due to be converted to a fibre connection for our landline phone.  Help please!

I have two issues:

• We will need to move the base unit for our cordless DECT phone system so as to be much closer to the hub than it is now so as to make the required connection.  We would much prefer to have the base unit where it is now.  It's where it is because that's what suits us best!  Is there anyway we can avoid this move?  Is there an "extender" device we can use close to the existing location of the base unit that allows us to maintain the current separation between the hub and the base unit?  (I THINK BT offer this but it is only compatible I believe with a BT Hub and I am not aware of a device that will be compatible with a VM Hub.)
  • We have an outside bell.  This requires the DC supply from the copper system to operate.  When we convert to fibre this will stop working.  Does anyone know of an alternative device we can use?  Perhaps a low voltage device which could be powered from a source of mains power (through an associated transformer) and which which would respond to the incoming signal from the DECT cordless phone system?  (The bell would therefore be similar to another cordless phone unit but with only a "bell facility" - no voice facility.)
5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location).

Modifying the phone wiring may require some changes to internal cables in the home. How much work is involved will depend on existing locations of equipment and cable routes alongside any aesthetic considerations.

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Your external bell should continue to function (if VM modifies your phone wiring) but the phone connection from the hub has a REN of 3 (typically 3 devices connected) and may not be able to drive all devices connected. A mechanical bell may require an additional wire for a ringer connection and may need a different adapter to the hub. Alternatively, you might be able to find a modern electronic sounder device to replace the bell.

You will probably only find out what works once you try to connect it all post switchover.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @david230946 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

We can certainly assist with arranging for an engineer to come and arrange for your current set up to remain in place when the switchover takes place. I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for chatting with me and Nathan, David. 

I am really glad we managed to get this issue resolved for you, along with the engineer's help! 

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan,

I sent a reply to you earlier today saying we were sorted and we are in so far as we have been converted to the new system and it appears to be working as it should.  BUT we have since had a notification indicating for us to expect a visit from a technician next week on Tuesday 21 November.  This was the appointment that had been rearranged by Nathan from Friday 17 November.  In fact, as I told you, that rearrangement was never implemented and your technician did turn up on Friday and has now completed the work.  So please will you CANCEL the appointment apparentlly still in place that is scheduled for 21 November.  (We have tried but frankly get so bogged down in security questions, we cannot get ourselves heard.)  Thank you. 

Hi David230946,

Thanks for coming back to me, apologies for missing this previously! 

I've now cancelled this appointment for you 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L