cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no email access

gareth170
Up to speed

hi

on wednesday morning my @virginmedia.com mailbox stopped working. i use outlook to receive/send emails but it keeps saying  "Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for ------@virginmedia.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for ------@virginmedia.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'"

i have never been able to access to my mailbox via virginmedia.com site, hance why i have always used outlook to receive/send emails.

yesterday  i called virgin and that was a waste of 2 hours, all they kept doing was resetting my virgin media account password, not my virgin media mailbox account password

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gareth170 wrote:

now I am thinking that they  haven't linked the 2 mailboxes to my account hence that why i'm not seeing the  "Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password"  in account details.

what do you think?

VM's broadband terms and conditions say that 90 days after a VM broadband account is closed they will delete all email accounts linked to that broadband account,

In reality they often leave it much longer but if they had deleted your late mum's account I would not have expected you to be able to access the MVM at all.

As I said, you need to get support from VM, I have gone as far as I am able to.

I would reiterate that you need to go back to the thread where VM staff member Molly_T has already responded to you (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-down-AGAIN-this-morning ), Post on that thread and explain to her that you cannot see the "Manage Virgin Media mail app" section in Account Details so she can help you.

By spreading your issue across a number of different forum threads you are making it more difficult for VM staff and forum members to help you. By posting in multiple threads it means it's taking you longer to get your problem resolved,

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gareth170 wrote:

i called virgin and that was a waste of 2 hours, all they kept doing was resetting my virgin media account password, not my virgin media mailbox account password

The password for your My Virgin Media  (MVM) Account is also the password for your Virgin Media Webmail account.

However. for email clients,  such as Outlook, VM now insist you use a VM "mail app" password as the password in the email settings instead of your VM webmail/MVM password.

It seems that VM call centre support staff don't mention the need for a mail app password.

You can generate the mail app password from your MVM account by following these steps

Sign in to My Virgin Media account with the problem email address and the password VM have provided.

• Go to Account settings, then Account details
  • Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
  • Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

A new secure password will be generated for you. This should be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new mail app password in future, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.

Try that and see how it goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

the problem is i don't have that option "Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password"  in account details

Thank you for this advice.  Unfortunately my problem begins with verifying my identity.  The system says that my date of birth and the answer to my security question, which happens to be my place of birth, are incorrect. The are not incorrect, but I cannot circumvent this stage.  I am stuck!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MarilynV wrote:

Unfortunately my problem begins with verifying my identity.

I assume you are using the Forgotten Password link, That does ask you for your security details and will often fail.

The route I suggested, going via the My Virgin Media account for that email address does not ask you for any security details. However. it does rely on you knowing the existing password for that email account.

Just to explain, even if the VM email account is locked you should still be able to access the My Virgin Media (MVM) account for that email address - provided you know the email password.

Here is the link to the MVM account.https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media  Just enter your email address and then the password when prompted.

Coenoby

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gareth170 wrote:

the problem is i don't have that option "Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password"  in account details

It is at the very bottom of the Account details page, under the "Virgin Media Mail" heading.

Manage email.png

Once or twice that whole "Virgin Media Mail" section has not displayed for me.

On those few occasions I have found that it always appeared if I did a hard refresh of the web page (Ctrl + Shift + R in Firefox) or went back to the Account Settings page and tried again.

Coenoby

i don't have that option at the bottom. i also just tried the hard refresh 5 times but that option still doesn't show.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gareth170 wrote:

i don't have that option at the bottom. i also just tried the hard refresh 5 times but that option still doesn't show.

The only other option I can suggest is that you try accessing it from a "private window" If you use Firefox or "incognito window" if you use Chrome, That will rule out the possibility of it being caused by a rogue cookie stored in your browser.

If that does not work it means that you are going to need help from VM to resolve it. You seem to be on lots of threads on the Forum at the moment which makes it a nightmare to keep track of you and give you relevant advice.

Forum Team member@Molly_T replied to you this morning  on https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-down-AGAIN-this-morning   so I suggest that reply to her on that thread, post and explain specifically that you cannot see the "manage Virgin Media mail app" section.

Coenoby

i just tried the "incognito window" but it's the same still doesn't show.

one other reason I can only think of is my virginmedia and ntlworld mailboxes was setup from my mums account and when she passed away in 2021 i had to signup to virginmedia in my own name and I told them that I want to keep my mailboxes from my mums old account and they said yes the mailboxes can still be used has they are separate from the account.

now I am thinking that they  haven't linked the 2 mailboxes to my account hence that why i'm not seeing the  "Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password"  in account details.

what do you think?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gareth170 wrote:

what do you think?

VM's broadband terms and conditions say that 90 days after a VM broadband account is closed they will delete all email accounts linked to that broadband account,

In reality they often leave it much longer but if they had deleted your late mum's account I would not have expected you to be able to access the MVM at all.

As I said, you need to get support from VM, I have gone as far as I am able to.

I would reiterate that you need to go back to the thread where VM staff member Molly_T has already responded to you (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-down-AGAIN-this-morning ), Post on that thread and explain to her that you cannot see the "Manage Virgin Media mail app" section in Account Details so she can help you.

By spreading your issue across a number of different forum threads you are making it more difficult for VM staff and forum members to help you. By posting in multiple threads it means it's taking you longer to get your problem resolved,

Coenoby