cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email

carlcarl
Joining in

I just got off from a call being told that all my emails are deleted and my email account is finished.

It was an account I have had for 20 years and access daily.

There are hundreds of very important items amongst the items foldered away.

Worryingly for me and perhaps VirginMedia a folder of 450 emails that may be used in a crimibnal trial.

The operator offered an apology and no explanation.

Strangely unemotional in tone. I was flattened. It's been half an hour since and the full extent of total **bleep**-uppery isn't sinking in.

If this is true and, as told to me will happen to lots of other customers, I can't see any other outcome that a mass exodus of customers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carlcarl wrote:

I just got off from a call being told that all my emails are deleted and my email account is finished.

That may be what you were told but I would not take that as being "the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth" 😉

Virgin Media support staff on VM's 150 line do have a history of fobbing off customers when they find themselves faced with a complex problem. For instance, they regularly tell customers with virgin.net addresses that those accounts are now handled by TalkTalk! It's not true but it allows them to mark the call has answered and allows them to move on the next one.

The key thing is that VM do close down email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account. That is part of the Terms and Conditions of VM broadband accounts.

If you have been talking to VM customer support staff it does suggest that you have a VM broadband account. You can check if that problem email account is still attached to it if you  sign into your VM My Virgin Media account, that's the one that allows you to view your bills and VM package details.

Go to Account settings, then Account details,  then scroll down and click on Manage other My Virgin Media accounts

You should see all the email accounts that are linked to your broadband account.

If it's listed there, then your account has not been deleted. Post back with the symptoms that caused you to contact VM. Some one here should be able to offer advice.

If it is not listed, then at best the account is at risk but the worst case scenario is that the VM person you talked to may have been basically correct. However, again, post back with what you are seeing that caused you to contact VM.

Just a tip, exact error messages are always useful rather than just saying "I cannot access the account". 😉

I am sorry it hear that you may have lost " a folder of 450 emails that may be used in a crimibnal trial." However, the lesson to take away is that all email services are designed as communication tools, not safe storage online places for extremely important documents. In future you really do need to have a back system in place which ever email service you use.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carlcarl wrote:

That may be what you were told but I would not take that as being "the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth" 😉

Virgin Media support staff on VM's 150 line do have a history of fobbing off customers when they find themselves faced with a complex problem. For instance, they regularly tell customers with virgin.net addresses that those accounts are now handled by TalkTalk! It's not true but it allows them to mark the call has answered and allows them to move on the next one.

The key thing is that VM do close down email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account. That is part of the Terms and Conditions of VM broadband accounts.

If you have been talking to VM customer support staff it does suggest that you have a VM broadband account. You can check if that problem email account is still attached to it if you  sign into your VM My Virgin Media account, that's the one that allows you to view your bills and VM package details.

Go to Account settings, then Account details,  then scroll down and click on Manage other My Virgin Media accounts

You should see all the email accounts that are linked to your broadband account.

If it's listed there, then your account has not been deleted. Post back with the symptoms that caused you to contact VM. Some one here should be able to offer advice.

If it is not listed, then at best the account is at risk but the worst case scenario is that the VM person you talked to may have been basically correct. However, again, post back with what you are seeing that caused you to contact VM.

Just a tip, exact error messages are always useful rather than just saying "I cannot access the account". 😉

I am sorry it hear that you may have lost " a folder of 450 emails that may be used in a crimibnal trial." However, the lesson to take away is that all email services are designed as communication tools, not safe storage online places for extremely important documents. In future you really do need to have a back system in place which ever email service you use.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TableTop
Up to speed

Although everything that ‘ceonoby’ says above is absolutely true, there have been the occasional report of people getting through to VM’s  customer services even though they aren’t a current customer - go figure!

I think it is important that we get the full details and the most important one is this ‘are you a current VM broadband customer’, if you are, then has there been any break in service, left and came back, moved home, since originally setting the email address up?

If you are not a customer, then, I’m afraid to say that the mailbox and all of the emails have almost certainly now been deleted or are otherwise inaccessible.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi carlcarl, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your emails. This is something we can certainly check for you but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you to pass security. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi carlcarl, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to confirm the issue is now resolved. 

If you have any further issues, pop back here to us in the Community and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

kantblue
Tuning in

Hi All - the same thing seems to have happened to me - its very confusing and annoying to say the least.

For a couple of days I have been unable to retrieve or send any emails to my ntlworld.com account, either on my phone or laptop.

I tried to login to my email using the webpage but there I got a message saying I need to login to my Virgin Media Account and change my email password - doesn't really explain why other than vague 'security' issue.

However I couldn't login to my Virgin Media Account page either - just got a grey bar at top and spinning figure 8 in the middle of the screen as others seem to have done so here.

Two lengthy calls later and I still can't login to either my emails or account. The first person I spoke to said I needed to add a new primary email account which I gave them - I received a verification message but got an 'oops something has gone wrong' message when I clicked on it.

Have tried all the usual stuff like clearing cache etc, but I am quite concerned now that I have lost my NTLworld address that I've had for years. I was also given a temporary supposedly random password by the Virgin Support team for logging into my Virgin Account which almost anyone could guess at - really surprised at this and as I can't login I can't even change it for something more secure.

This still couldn't get sorted so my problem has been 'escalated' and an IT person will call me within the NEXT 5 DAYS which seems appalling and would also imply that others have been having the same issue.

Anyone got any advice or fixes for this?

If anyone else has been having this issue you are not alone. I always thought I would lose the NTLWORLD address eventually but this is without any warning or notification. I'm going to start the lengthy process of changing all my logins and accounts linked to the NTLWORLD address but this is going to take some time and I suspect I will get caught out a few times by companies wanting to verify the change of emails by sending a code to the now shut down NTLWORLD address.

big-luap
Up to speed

using file manager, go into the C drive to users, then your login folder, pan down to Documents, and look in there for the one drive folder, then look for the Outlook folder. Copy that and paste it to a local drive folder. In that folder should be the .pst file for your email address. Then setup outlook to open that file. you should then have a copy of you previous emails.