cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife’s Secondary Email Not Working on PC Client

Timtimmo
Joining in

Hello,

I have My VM account and email and my wife has a secondary email removed linked to this account.  She is successfuly using this email account on her IPhone but the PC client will not work…..asking for correct password?

I think I am entering the correct password but it will not have it!  When I go into my webmail, I can see an exclamation mark against her email address saying “account disabled”…..but the iPhone client works perfectly?

How do I get her account re-enabled?….and how do a reset her password if that is required?

I feel I am on the right track but stuck at this hurdle.

Any help is much appreciated - Mark

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Timtimmo wrote:

Thank you for the reply David,

I think I am stuck in a virtual loop.  EG: I cannot login to my wife's "My Virgin Media" account as no security setting have been set up and it keeps asking for DOB and Mothers maiden name!  From reading other posts, this would seem to be the new way......you have to login using my wife's email (which we have never ever done!)

I can login into my own "My Virgin Media" OK and My web mail but I cannot see a way to reset the password of my wife's email from this path?

Sorry If I have misunderstood your instructions but it looks Like I may have the pleasure of 3 hours on the phone to get some assistance from the VM team.

Mark

Yes, your assumptions are quite true. In the ‘old days’, the ‘primary account holder’, ie you, could manage and reset the password of all the ‘secondary account holders’, ie your wife's. This is no longer the case, you no longer have any control over your wife’s email account (well, other than to delete it, if you were to be particularly annoyed with her).

Every email user (even secondary account users) now has their own my.virginmedia.com account in which to manage their own settings, email password etc. using their email address and password.

So your wife needs to log in to her my.virginmedia.com account using her own email address and password and select the ‘forgotten password’ option. This will ask for answers to the various security questions. Now the problem here is that your wife would never have set these answers up (Mother’s maiden name, name of her first pet, etc.), because why would she? It was never a requirement, of course it might have been a good idea for VM to have notified people before implementing this change, but that would involve ‘joined-up thinking’; not a concept ever to be used in the same context as Virgin Media!

Yes you are you going to have to call VM and suffer Dante’s ninth circle of Hell, AKA the VM customer service provision. Be aware though, that based on similar posts on here, there is a non zero chance that the CS agent will completely misunderstand what you are asking, or be completely incompetent, and instead, change ‘your’ email address password instead.

On the other hand, you do have a glimpse of the future, so both you and your wife, might well consider seeing up third party email addresses, gradually move your accounts across to them and, maybe, wonder if VM is a good choice for connectivity!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Daveg14
Up to speed

Hi Mark.

I had a similar problem my phone was ok but email client was not.

What had happened I had a security email from virgin saying they thought my email had been breached so I had to go into my virgin media account setting view Virgin media mail settings look for the email that is blocked select it and select change password it will generate a new password you need to put this in the phone and email client.

But make sure you are only changing your Wife's password not your one as if you do you will have to change your password on your devices.

Just give a shout if you need any help mate

David

I think I am stuck in a virtual loop.  EG: I cannot login to my wife's "My Virgin Media" account as no security setting have been set up and it keeps asking for DOB and Mothers maiden name!  From reading other posts, this would seem to be the new way......you have to login using my wife's email (which we have never ever done!)

I can login into my own "My Virgin Media" OK and My web mail but I cannot see a way to reset the password of my wife's email from this path?

Sorry If I have misunderstood your instructions but it looks Like I may have the pleasure of 3 hours on the phone to get some assistance from the VM team.

Mark

@Timtimmo wrote:

Mark

Yes, your assumptions are quite true. In the ‘old days’, the ‘primary account holder’, ie you, could manage and reset the password of all the ‘secondary account holders’, ie your wife's. This is no longer the case, you no longer have any control over your wife’s email account (well, other than to delete it, if you were to be particularly annoyed with her).

Every email user (even secondary account users) now has their own my.virginmedia.com account in which to manage their own settings, email password etc. using their email address and password.

So your wife needs to log in to her my.virginmedia.com account using her own email address and password and select the ‘forgotten password’ option. This will ask for answers to the various security questions. Now the problem here is that your wife would never have set these answers up (Mother’s maiden name, name of her first pet, etc.), because why would she? It was never a requirement, of course it might have been a good idea for VM to have notified people before implementing this change, but that would involve ‘joined-up thinking’; not a concept ever to be used in the same context as Virgin Media!

Yes you are you going to have to call VM and suffer Dante’s ninth circle of Hell, AKA the VM customer service provision. Be aware though, that based on similar posts on here, there is a non zero chance that the CS agent will completely misunderstand what you are asking, or be completely incompetent, and instead, change ‘your’ email address password instead.

On the other hand, you do have a glimpse of the future, so both you and your wife, might well consider seeing up third party email addresses, gradually move your accounts across to them and, maybe, wonder if VM is a good choice for connectivity!

Hey Timtimmo,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account at the moment. I would be more than happy to look into this for you however I would need to take a few details via private message to be able to do that, please look out for my message and we can investigate the issues.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

You're very welcome Timtimmo and glad that we could get this resolved for you 👍

Kind Regards,

Steven_L