cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access virginmedia.com email address (IMAP)

jhuffington
Tuning in

Hi,

I have an ntlworld.com email address, which required a password change after the recent email outage problem. I got that back working ok, and also a second account I have with a virginmedia.com address, I got it working again after removing and re-adding it to my email profile (Windows 10 + MS Outlook). You did a follow up to recover lost emails, after which I had a repeat of the folder synch problem with my virginmedia.com email address. In trying to correct this, I removed the VM account from my profile and attempted to put it back again - but now it refuses to accept the IMAP settings (as per your help document) and I cannot access the VM.com account at all either via Outlook or via a browser sign in. Weirdly I CAN send emails from my Android smartphone from the VM.com address to the ntlworld.com address, it appears to be a password reset problem which I can't perform for some reason - please help as I would like to regain full access the VM.com email address ([REMOVED]@virginmedia.com)

Thanks,

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

biconoclast
Tuning in

I feel your pain.  My primary b******@vm email is working but my secondary email s**********@vm is not, and that is the one i actually use for most stuff.  No access using my laptop and logging in via vm portal to that secondary address, no data, wont accept password, same story for many folk here.  Wierdly, that same secondary address IS working and working with the Same password! via outlook client & IMAP, via my mobile phone.  I wish someone here had the tech knowledge to explain how that can be; virgin phone staff are clueless.  I'm scared that if I let them try resetting the password, it will possibly just kill the remaining access I have via my mobile, without necessarily fixing the problem....  How I wish an actual google technician was reading this.....

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

biconoclast
Tuning in

I feel your pain.  My primary b******@vm email is working but my secondary email s**********@vm is not, and that is the one i actually use for most stuff.  No access using my laptop and logging in via vm portal to that secondary address, no data, wont accept password, same story for many folk here.  Wierdly, that same secondary address IS working and working with the Same password! via outlook client & IMAP, via my mobile phone.  I wish someone here had the tech knowledge to explain how that can be; virgin phone staff are clueless.  I'm scared that if I let them try resetting the password, it will possibly just kill the remaining access I have via my mobile, without necessarily fixing the problem....  How I wish an actual google technician was reading this.....

Have had email problems for the last two weeks, VM are well aware of it as they keep sending mail that maintenance work will be carried out in your area.

Outlook and Thunderbird once in a blue moon work, same with Samung mail.

Strangely Windows Mail works perfectly, any ideas as am lost and sick of this ?

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey jhuffington,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account working over Outlook at the moment. 

Are you able to change the IMAP settings on your email server from imap.virginmedia.com to imap.ntlworld.com, this has worked for some users and if you could give this a try and let us know if this works for you or not?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks Steven_L, changing imap server from virginmedia.com to ntlworld.com for my ntlwold.com email account worked for me.

Regards

Phil

Thanks for coming back to me philharmonicat and letting us know that its working for you now. Where you having these issues in Outlook? I'm just asking to see if this has resolved the issues in that application.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L,    Are you able to comment at all on my previous post?  My portal emails generally still badly messed up and inaccessible, emails dont load or disappear then come back an hour later, subfolders occassionally present but mostly not.  The only place I am still getting emails that I should be able to see in the vm account portal, is on my phone via outlook.  Is there a way to back those up somewhere?  Customers are wondering if data will ever be restored or if virgin is washing its hands of this epic mess - its been 3 days now....

Thanks for coming back to me biconoclast, the team are still working to get those types of email issues resolved and we hope to have the issues resolved as soon as we can. You can back up the emails that you are able to access via Outlook following the instructions from the Microsoft forums here.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

I tried this and no luck, after hitting 'add account' and entering the email address and password it usually instantly rejects the imap settings with a message in red text box. Sometimes it sets off with "we're getting things ready" message - but always rejects the attempt saying unable to connect to IMAP server. Port settings are IMAP = 993 and SMTP = 465.

I am beginning to think there is a password on this account that I don't know and can't change - any thoughts on how I get this addressed?  

Thanks for coming back to us jhuffington, our teams are continuing to look into the ongoing issues with the email servers and we hope that we can provide another update soon with regards to the issues that you're having. Unfortunately we don't have any further information at the moment. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L