cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to add blueyonder email account to gmail on android phone

jackson_04
On our wavelength

Hi

I have been trying for days to add my blueyonder email account to my gmail account on an android phone.

I've tried using the recommended settings and also managing the mail app password on my virgin media but just been going round in circles.

I've never had any problems on previous devices but really struggling now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jackson_04, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue adding your email to an app. I know you've mentioned that you've tried following steps but I'm just going to post them below again in case there was anything missed. 

Please log in to My Virgin Media here > Click on Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > scroll down to the App password section and click the Generate new App password button.

If you've not yet updated your My VM username to a 3rd party email then you should get a pop up message asking you to verify your email address and you'll need to use a 3rd party email address to continue. You'll be sent a one time passcode to enter on the next page to verify it's you. Once verified you'll then be given an app password which will look something similar to: mail-horse-yellow-panda and you should note this down.

To get things working on an email client or app again, you will need to enter the VM email address as the username and the newly generated app password. This will allow your emails to load again. 

These changes have been put in place as Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is now required. Just as a side note, when logging in to My VM, you will need to use the third party email address as the username and your original My VM password.

Please let me know how you get on and also pop any error messages you are getting and at what step it's failing.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jackson_04
On our wavelength

Hi Kath, thank you for your reply.

When Itry the above, i don't receive the verification email. I only get as far as entering an alternative email address then nothing else happens.

Not sure where i am going wrong.

•  

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us jackson_04. I'm sorry to hear you're continuing to experience issues.

For clarity, when you mention the verification email, is this referencing to updating your My VIrgin Media username to a 3rd-party email address, or a different part of the guidance provided by Kath?

Are you able to send a screenshot of the page you get up to (blocking out any personal information), so we can identify potential causes? Are you also able to try a different browser, or device?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Sorry to take so long to respond but long hours at work mean that i haven't had a chance to reply.

I have taken a photo of the screen which is as far as i can get. Screenshot would not attach toessage.

17083668474817942165795413265887.jpg

I presume it is here that i put my alternative email address and not my blueyonder email address? Once i do this, i can't find an email for me to verify this change. I have checked both my alternative email and my blueyonder email.

Regards

Hi @jackson_04 thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to help you resolve this issue. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

jackson_04
On our wavelength

I am still unable to generate an app specific password via virginmedia. I still keep getting the box saying to check my emails. However, there has not been an email recieved at the email address that I have added. Can anybody please suggest anything before I give up.

Thank you

Hi @jackson_04 sorry to hear you're still having issues generating the email password.

I am going to reach out to you privately again. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee