cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not getting blueyonder emails on Android Phone

DivingIvan
Joining in

I've been having what sounds like a very similar problem. Email has stopped syncing on the Gmail app on my android phone.

I deleted the account and re-added, and this then synced any new messages.

However, it then stopped syncing again.

I've now removed and re-added the account twice, but still getting the problem.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DivingIvan 

"I confirm that I am a VM Broadband customer";

Thanks for that update.

"though I'm not sure why this would be relevant to the problem."

The reason it's relevant is because the reason for the other poster's problem was that their Blueyonder account was the in the process of being deleted by VM because it was no longer attached to a live VM broadband account. As a current VM customer we can now rule that out in your case.

Looking at your problem with the app. Virgin Media recently made a change to their email service which means that you now have to generate a mail app specific password to use instead of your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps. Sadly VM have not really  publicised that change.

If you are still using the webmail password in the Gmail app it would be worth generating a mail app password and using that in the Gmail app.

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using your Blueyonder email address and existing webmail password of the account.. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab. Scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:  video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the Gmail app and any other apps that you use on other devices. You should still use the original password to access the VM account on the website.

Try that and see if that works, it seems to resolve a lot of cases like yours.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DivingIvan, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums! 

Sorry to see you're having the same issue here. I think what might be missing for yourself is the original steps to take first, which are the following: 

Step 1: Recover the MyVM Password

Select sign in 
Select Forgotten your email or password? under the password box 
Follow the instructions to change your password 

Step 2: Generate a new E-mail App Password

Sign in to My Virgin Media 
Go to Account settings, then Account details 
Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail 
Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password 
Continue the flow and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked 
Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DivingIvan wrote:

I deleted the account and re-added, and this then synced any new messages.

However, it then stopped syncing again.

That is similar to the issue on the thread you originally posted on but I think there are a couple of key differences.

I may be reading too much between the lines but it sounds as if you were able to regain access to the account, for a while, after you deleted the account from the app and then set it up again.

Also, the other poster was no longer a VM Broadband customer which creates a completely different scenario. You don't mention that, so can you confirm you have a VM broadband account?

It would also be useful if you could try signing into your Blueyonder email account directly on the VM website and posting back the outcome of that.  Use this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/   Enter your Blueyonder address and then enter your password when prompted.

Basically, if you can access the email account on the VM website, it points to a problem within the app. If you get an error message it points to a problem with the email account itself and the exact error message will provide a clue as to how to resolve it.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I confirm that I am a VM Broadband customer; though I'm not sure why this would be relevant to the problem.

I confirm that I can access my Blueyonder email via the VM website; although, interestingly, the 'Sent' folder on the VM website does not show any of the test messages that I have successfully sent from the Gmail app on my Android phone. I know that these have been successfully sent, as they have been received by the account that I sent them to.

Thanks again, Ivan

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

It's relevant in the sense that without an active VM broadband account - email accounts can be closed up to 90 days after a disconnection, leading to similar issues like this. 

Were you able to follow the steps provided above? Let me know if you have 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan.

What steps provided above? Am I missing something?

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

If you are able to look up the thread - I responded earlier this morning with some steps to try 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DivingIvan 

"I confirm that I am a VM Broadband customer";

Thanks for that update.

"though I'm not sure why this would be relevant to the problem."

The reason it's relevant is because the reason for the other poster's problem was that their Blueyonder account was the in the process of being deleted by VM because it was no longer attached to a live VM broadband account. As a current VM customer we can now rule that out in your case.

Looking at your problem with the app. Virgin Media recently made a change to their email service which means that you now have to generate a mail app specific password to use instead of your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps. Sadly VM have not really  publicised that change.

If you are still using the webmail password in the Gmail app it would be worth generating a mail app password and using that in the Gmail app.

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using your Blueyonder email address and existing webmail password of the account.. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab. Scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:  video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the Gmail app and any other apps that you use on other devices. You should still use the original password to access the VM account on the website.

Try that and see if that works, it seems to resolve a lot of cases like yours.

Coenoby

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

@coenoby has provided the goods! This is 100% the best steps to take here.

For some reason I have just checked the thread and what I sent earlier with the same steps don't seem to be there - apologies for that, the thread must have split. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for that.

I've done the above, but still getting exactly the same problem.

I've even removed the account from the Gmail app and re-added it. All this results in is, I pick up the new latest messages (ie., ones that exist at the time that the account is re-added in the Gmail app), but after that, I get no further new messages (I've sent some from another email account). The new emails appear in the VM website email, but not on my phone app.

Thanks again, Ivan