cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary email address

thege
Joining in

Hi. Many years ago, in order to use the old PWP Web page hosting options when VM was still Blueyonder, I changed my primary address to my cousins name so that I could build and host a series of Web pages to market his music. Sadly, my cousin passed away and now, since the changes to the IMAP config options, all of my emails are being sent from an address that uses his name and not mine. Not only is this a bit confusing for recipients of my emails, it's not great for me to have to see his name on a regular basis. It seems VM are totally incapable of changing the primary email address associated with an account but are there any alternatives I could use, other than POP3, to keep my own persona via email and reduce the visibility of this unwanted reminder? If this were built on Active Directory it wouldn't be such an issue so whatever system VM use for managing accounts/identities seems severely limited. Any thoughts, anyone?

2 REPLIES 2

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For clarity, did you change the Display Name for the primary email address or the actual primary email address? For example:

• for the former, from Richard Branson <richard.branson@blueyonder.co.uk> to John  Smith <richard.branson@blueyonder.co.uk> 
  • for the latter, from richard.branson@blueyonder.co.uk to john.smith@blueyonder.co.uk

If the:

• former then In webmail select ⚙ > Basic settings > My contact data…, amend name details and save; other email clients will have similar setting to amend Display Name
  • later then it is unlikely to be possible as it requires the email account be recreated; post back here if this is the case so the forum tram can confirm

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Hi @thege 

Welcome to the community forums 

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. 

I can see that our very helpful VIP @用心棒 has kindly offered some support on this. 

Can you also confirm if you have an active broadband service with us, or is it just the email you have?

Please do let us know if you have any further issues after trying these steps and we'll be here to support further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley