cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked email

pwaterhouse
Joining in

Hi. This is for an admin please. My email address. Has been hacked. I can log into virgin mail to reset my password. I actually want to just delete the account. I e already reset my phone. Please email to [MOD EDIT: Personal details]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You should report this to the Information Commissioner's Office.  If VM have kept alive an email account past the 90 days post-closure, and you were not using it, then that's processing your data without consent.  There's a second GDPR issue, that there's been hundreds of reports of hacked email accounts lately - clearly there's been a systemic failure of security across VM's email system that has enabled these hacks.  And despite knowing there's a problem, VM have failed to recognise this as a breach and notify the ICO and affected customers within 72 hours, another GDPR failure. 

Three serious breaches of GDPR, and still the company are doing the three wise monkeys routine - what a shameful outfit.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pwaterhouse 

Welcome back to the community forums

Sorry to hear that your email was hacked. Can you confirm if the email is linked to an active broadband service and used a the primary email for the online account or is this an older email account? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi, I don't have virgin broadband anymore. I was still using it but I have now changed to another email. It is a very old email address.....an ntlworld one if your old enough to remember.

You should report this to the Information Commissioner's Office.  If VM have kept alive an email account past the 90 days post-closure, and you were not using it, then that's processing your data without consent.  There's a second GDPR issue, that there's been hundreds of reports of hacked email accounts lately - clearly there's been a systemic failure of security across VM's email system that has enabled these hacks.  And despite knowing there's a problem, VM have failed to recognise this as a breach and notify the ICO and affected customers within 72 hours, another GDPR failure. 

Three serious breaches of GDPR, and still the company are doing the three wise monkeys routine - what a shameful outfit.

I don't claim to understand your answer. But agree with virgin media being a company I do not want to deal with. They are painfully slow to deal with any problems that came up.

I no longer have broadband or TV with virgin media but for other reasons 

Hi. 

It's a good job it's not urgent isn't it. After all it's just a security breach! 

Please tell me what action your taking?

Hi @pwaterhouse 👋 Thank you for your response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

In order to look into this for you further, we will need to send you a private message on here. Look out for the purple envelope in the top right-hand corner.

Regards,
Daniel

I share your concerns.

It would appear from the number of reported VM / email hacks that there has been a serious breach of VM security, yet there is no sense of urgency around getting this resolved - just bland advice about carrying out a virus scan and changing passwords.  I reported my issue yesterday and have been informed that it has been passed to the IT team for investigation, but no more specific advice has been forthcoming.

As a Virgin Media customer affected by this issue, I want to know how hackers got access to my login and password, whether there are ongoing risks, and whether there is any more action I should be taking in the meantime.